Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

kohler ch740 please help

I have a exmark with a kohler sp27 on it have owned mower for 3 years ran great until this spring. It started to miss on and off. have ran it all summer like this. at first start up it would run good then miss for a few seconds to a min or two then run fine again would do this for about 30 min or so then run fine the rest of the day. if I was running the mower everyday after a day or two it wouldn't do it at all but if the mower sits for a couple days it gets worse. the one plug looks good the other is all black and carboned I thought it might be a lifter bad. it finaly bent a pushrod on the side with the black plug. I replaced the lifters the pushrod and took head off removed vaives checked the seats and they are tight cleaned valves and reinstalled with new head gasket. started engine back up no good. compression on cylinders are 130 and 135 seems good. spark seems good changed fuel filter. it doesn't have a completely dead cylinder cause it runs if I pull the wires off the plugs one side at a time but it is like it is missing it last little bit of power it needs. as soon as I engage the pto it dies it has 1023 hours I am out of ideas I need help. it ran good until it sat over the winter and started acting up this spring is it fuel related or inside the motor somewhere HELP
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allis41 View Post
I have a exmark with a kohler sp27 on it have owned mower for 3 years ran great until this spring. It started to miss on and off. have ran it all summer like this. at first start up it would run good then miss for a few seconds to a min or two then run fine again would do this for about 30 min or so then run fine the rest of the day. if I was running the mower everyday after a day or two it wouldn't do it at all but if the mower sits for a couple days it gets worse. the one plug looks good the other is all black and carboned I thought it might be a lifter bad. it finaly bent a pushrod on the side with the black plug. I replaced the lifters the pushrod and took head off removed vaives checked the seats and they are tight cleaned valves and reinstalled with new head gasket. started engine back up no good. compression on cylinders are 130 and 135 seems good. spark seems good changed fuel filter. it doesn't have a completely dead cylinder cause it runs if I pull the wires off the plugs one side at a time but it is like it is missing it last little bit of power it needs. as soon as I engage the pto it dies it has 1023 hours I am out of ideas I need help. it ran good until it sat over the winter and started acting up this spring is it fuel related or inside the motor somewhere HELP
Are you sure 1 of the coils is not acting up? Sometimes a coil goes bad fast some times they take a while. I would change the 1 on the bad side .

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I learned with coils to change in pairs. If one goes the other ain't far behind. Even on vehicles I upgraded all the coil packs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I learned with coils to change in pairs. If one goes the other ain't far behind. Even on vehicles I upgraded all the coil packs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I aggree 100% I just was not sure if that was the issue so didnt suggest both.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Coils seem to be a universal problem with engines lately. I don't know if its Chiba quality or what, but I've changed more in the last 3 years than than 25 combined.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Coils seem to be a universal problem with engines lately. I don't know if its Chiba quality or what, but I've changed more in the last 3 years than than 25 combined.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ive noticed that with both Kohler and Kawasaki I rarely get to 1000 hrs without replacing the coils on engines that were built since 2010. My older mowers never seemed to have coil issues that often.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Ive noticed that with both Kohler and Kawasaki I rarely get to 1000 hrs without replacing the coils on engines that were built since 2010. My older mowers never seemed to have coil issues that often.
It's no secret that they have had problems with coils! With Kohler, it was all good before they decided to go to DSAI (powered) coils. Then they had "some problems" and revised them... Then they had some failure rates "higher than expected" on the revised coils and revised it again...

Then one day this spring in Kohler Wisconsin the clouds parted, and a voice from above seemed to say "Look, you idiots, go back to the old MDI coils that actually worked"!... So they did!

Depending what Spec. number your engine is and what version coil you have is depends on which kit you need! If it is concluded that the coil(s) are at fault and not a fuel issue...

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!