Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Outfront or Traditional Mower?

Hi.

I'm a property owner & need a new mower. I've been mowing with a Cub Cadet RZT 50 for about 4 years now. Recently it's been falling apart.

My mowing consist of my 2 acre residence & a 2 acre parcel I own & occasionally another 1/2 acre parcel.

I'm in Brevard County Florida on the East Coast.

My residential property is pretty straight forward.
It's Bahia Grass fairly flat 20 trees or so.

My other parcel's are Bahia & weeds (lots of weeds) some very tall grass, gets several feet tall if you let it - kinda clumps, looks like saw grass without the sawing, lots of trees & obstructions to mow around & under like up into palm trees big bushes.

I'm due for a new mower. I was looking in the $5-$6K range, now I'm into the $8-$10k range. I've narrowed it down to a couple of mowers.

#1) Gravely Outfront Pro-Master Rapid XZ. This mower is discontinued but I found one for sale at a Gravely Dealer 3yrs old, never cut a lick, just a few hours on it, was a floor model, for $8500. It's the 60" Cut w/ 30HP Kohler on it.

#2)Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 2750. Local Dealer has it for $9200. 50" cut, 27HP Generac Motor

My main questions is how well do the Outfront Mowers do? The Outfront design seems like it might be a better match for me but I am concerned as to the effectiveness of the machine. I've rarely seen a Ride on Outfront mower, I'm concerned there';s a reason for it. & why most Zero Turns are deck under the driver. The advantages to the Outfront design would be being able to plow the deck under the bushes & branches & other obstructions + another nice feature of it is the whole front deck will tilt completely up via the hydraulic system for servicing the Blades & underside of the deck thus you don't have to jack it up & crawl under it. I can't count how many times I've had to get under my deck on my Parcels to remove rope or... from the blades, it'd be nice to just pop them up for maintenance.

So like I said, Outfront mowing seems like a great idea for me but I can't help but think that the Traditional Deck-under design might be better since it's such a popular design.

Thanks in Advance for taking time.
Ron
Old 09-21-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience out front mowers are usually superior machines. They're just not practical for the average commercial application. Slower, larger footprint on a trailer, potential for funky striping due to rear wheels Etc

But cut is usually better, maneuverability is better, easier maintenance.....bagging is usually better.......

And still not rich

Old 09-21-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I take back what isaid about superior maneuverability, was a bad choice of words, I meant you can get closer to obstacles and eliminate more trimming.

And still not rich

Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once I tried the front deck design I never bought another midmount. It is also easy to see where the deck is in relation to obstacles.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. There helpful. I figured more would chime in with an opinion on this. Should I have posted this in the commercial section?