Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Same with the bar harbor region of downeast Maine, lots of high end landscapes both residential and commercial......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
Hard to make assumptions if you dont know a lot about the whole state. Ever been to midcoast Maine? I know of one company that does well over a million. They have gotten huge over the years. Also there is another LCO that probably comes close to that in the same area. Also there are a couple of big hardscape outfits in this area that do big money jobs. Mid coast Maine is full of hi end clientel. Money isnt just in southern Maine.
I know along the coast you get your wealthy people with second homes probably mostly from mid coast south. A lot of out of state owners.

In southern Maine you find more actual Mainers who have done well with year round homes in higher densities inland in the lakes region.Throughout the state you find people with money here and there but not with any density outside of southern Maine. It also depends on what your definition of density is.

Where my mother lives in Augusta on Fairview Avenue there is an estate behind her where they have old money going back to the early timber industry. Where my farther lives in Gardiner you have the interesting castle owned by the Gardiner family but inland estates like this are rare and far in between.

In Maine you really don't have large areas where you can go and every home is high end. It's crazy the money you can find down here in high end neighborhoods. A study done about eight years ago showed there were about 20,000 millionaires just in Austin. I'm sure the numbers are more like 25,000+ by now.

There are even several billionaires residing in Austin like Dell and John Paul Dejoria. Dell spent about $30,000,000 on his estate. Crazy money.

Maine was shown to be home to about 22,000 millionaires across the whole state which isn't bad for a state with about 1.2 million people. Texas has about 360,000 millionaires which is similar to NY, and FL. CA tops the list at around 663,000 but because of high taxes a steady trickle of individuals and businesses have moved to Texas and Austin in particular for the technology base.

A few years back my neighbor got laid off from a subcontractor that was specializing in the gases used in semiconductor production and ended up having to move to Portland of all places to work a one year contract at Fairchild.

I never planned on leaving Maine or getting into landscaping myself but when you travel the world in the Army you don't come back much of the time.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Same with the bar harbor region of downeast Maine, lots of high end landscapes both residential and commercial......
Posted via Mobile Device
The By Us Company is the big dog downeast. Not sure what their numbers are but they go all over the state. They do just about everything outside (mowing, landscaping, snow plowing, construction, blueberries and more).

I know them well and we work well together.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS Mow View Post
The By Us Company is the big dog downeast. Not sure what their numbers are but they go all over the state. They do just about everything outside (mowing, landscaping, snow plowing, construction, blueberries and more).

I know them well and we work well together.
They actually have a modern website and have doe some SEO work. They are on the bottom of page one on Google. They also have a blog which is a must to keep adding content so Google will rate you higher. The blog has no updates since Feb 2012 so they are probably going to get bumped from page one if they don't do their homework.

Davis is the number one listing on Google for Maine. They have before and after pictures and back links to the associations they are members of. Google likes back links because it shows you more of an expert which will cause you to be rated higher. They don't call it a blog they call it "In The News" but they basically have a blog they have been using to add content.

Sites now need to be mobile friendly as well so they load quickly. Sites that are even a few years old are not likely to be mobile friendly. We are on pace to have more mobile searches then PC searches in the very near future.

The phone book has been DOA since about 2008. It's amazing how advertising has radically changed in a short period of time. Filtered direct mail aimed at your target market is still a good investment when done at the optimal time of year. The hard thing about direct mail is the cost effective minimum is 5000 pieces.

In the Austin area I cover I have to hit some homes with values as low as the $600,000's to make the 5000 minimum. I also only target homes built after 1995 since people with newer homes tend to spend more money on the yard. My target market is the high end million plus range and working down the value range as little as possible to hit the 5000 mark. The area I cover is no bigger then Augusta.

If you used the same filters I use for direct mail you would probably have to cover the whole state to yield similar results. Have Any of you guys done filtered (infoUSA, ect.) direct mail or Google Adwords?
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-22-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We will get there eventually. Hard to manage fast growth when you are small-medium sized. The BY US people do mostly commercial. Which really isn't our forte except that I would like to get a few for snow contracts. Here's a pic of the stander......
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oops...let's try this....
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
We will get there eventually. Hard to manage fast growth when you are small-medium sized. The BY US people do mostly commercial. Which really isn't our forte except that I would like to get a few for snow contracts. Here's a pic of the stander......
Yeah overall I would say they do mostly commercial, except locally here as they started here and their home base is here, so they do a lot of residential too.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 09-22-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere is not very popular in Texas. John Deere doesn't really make any of it's commercial mowers, blowers, or string trimmers. They are all made by others, painted green and yellow, and sold as John Deere. The local John Deere dealer refuses to even sell them anymore. He sells Scag as his main commercial line along with several other brands.

Years back he sold them but he said John Deere parts support and support in general was horrible and it made him look bad. John Deere kept making promises they couldn't keep. The stamped decks that only home owner mowers come with are a big turn off for many as well. The good thing is the engine, wheel motors, hydro pumps, and many other parts are usually standard parts that come from respected companies used industry wide.

Gravely also doesn't make any mowers. It uses Wright to build all of it's equipment. If you put your mower beside the Gravely stand on mower you will see they are pretty similar. Wright was the first company to come out with the Stander and I think there were some patent infringement issues or licensing where they sold others the legal right to build on their patented design. I'm sure the patent is probably expired by now which is why Gravely and Deere came out with their own version.

Hopefully you have good luck with yours. I realize in Maine you don't have Scag, Toro, Gravely, Ferris, Wright, Snapper Pro, Walker, and others dealers all within a 30 minute drive or less most of the time.
Owner- David

Old 09-22-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
oops...let's try this....
I think it great and I would love to own one. I hope next year I can justify a stander or possibly ZTR. But probably just a bigger WB. That is one of the exact mowers I would consider. Within 30-40 min I have almost any major manufacture dealer either going into NH or ME.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wright and JD are owned by the same company now. The stamped decks are fine - as rugged as the other makers. But yes, their support and dealers do suck really bad, just couldn't pass up the deal on this demo. First and probably last green paint I buy but we are happy with the efficiency of the stander, so I'll probably look into grandstand next year.