Register free!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

So I looked in several places for grubs and nothing. But it seems like the turf rolls up sought of like a carpet from grubs but can't find any grubs. Then I thought maybe I'm looking for the wrong problem. You can see in the photos that the problem runs all along the edge of the walkway. It seems as though it started all along the driveway and walkway then spread from there. Then I found some of these? Chinch bugs? My father is having the same issue and I see these flea looking bugs under the turf.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...pscd6bb4ac.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...psdc80afe6.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps31c47c96.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
I haven't found any insects or bill bugs at all. No webworms or feces from webworms. Can't figure it out. There are some good size mushrooms growing as well so wondering if the underlying issue is some type of fungus. I have recently started to mow it shorter than usual.

http://www.zamzows.com/Zamzows_Blogs...In_My_Lawn.htm

Mushrooms mean too much water. How do I know, from personal experience. We just received 4.5" after a tropical storm clobbered us. Guess what popped up in my lawn today? Mushrooms. About five to be exact.

As for white spots in the grass? That could defiantly be a side effect of fungicide. How do I know? I just went through a spurt of whiteness in my yard. I did days of research, everything from calling nurseries, farms, radio shows, to agriculture extensions.

What can cause fungicide? Also too much watering.

So there's a simple question to ask yourself. How much fertilizer have you been applying? Lot's of rain? How much are you watering? How much are your sprinklers putting out?

If your not receiving any response with the soap trick this could be your issue.

It just leads me to believe this because you mentioned mushrooms. Which defiantly means you've been having water. Over fertilizing in summer can also cause fungicides.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not saying fungicide is your issue, but might be something to look into. Also, for future knowledge fungicide can also spread, by feet, rake, lawn mower blades, anything touching it.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

After I reviewed your thread, you also mention it comes and goes away at times of the day. Which leads me to believe Powder Mildew. I've also looked into this. Check out this website which describes how it comes and goes. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/gray-fu...ing-75431.html

Everything your describing seems like everything that was contained in my several day research of "Fungus."

There are natural remedies for problems like this, such as Corn Meal, which may take as much as 30 days to see results. But there are also many products that fight this. Mostly better used as a preventers. Search up something like Banner Max, you will see some proven products, which can be as much several hundred dollars a gallon.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate your response on this matter. The mushrooms are all gone. We had a good amount of rain which caused them. But it's not the mushrooms
That concerned me. What concerns me is the spreading problems you see in the picture.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
I'm not saying fungicide is your issue, but might be something to look into. Also, for future knowledge fungicide can also spread, by feet, rake, lawn mower blades, anything touching it.
You've used the word fungicide in the wrong context several times. For clarification, fungicides are the type of pesticides used to treat diseases caused by some fungi. Fungicides are the cure or preventative, not the disease.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

No problem, but I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to help you just by looking at the grass from photo's online. There's hundreds and hundreds of diseases out there, some people see certain diseases in certain areas, some will have never seen the same issue that you might have. But if you want some honest help and answers you'll probably have more luck by supplying more factors. Temperatures, Weather, Water Supplied per week, how much nitrogen your applying, there are various amounts of details you've been leaving out since post 1 that will help people identify your issue.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Difficult to judge from the pics and information.
Do you notice that as you get near the house the grass is greener and less affected? More shade has protected the grass from the hot sun. Area with most sun is worst. I suspect this area dried out a few weeks ago. Most of the grass was killed. The sturdier varieties, or clumps with the deepest roots, survived and greened up, now that rains have resumed. This is mainly perennial rye--correct? Sprinklers look like they are only hitting the far right end. Have an irrigation technician check this.

We get mushrooms here when a rain follows a warm dry spell. Sandy soil here, excess water or poor drainage is never a problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I know I'll get grief for this but I never water it! I fertilize with Lesco products every 6 weeks. Dethatch in spring followed by 2 apps of fert with dimension in spring/ cross check/ then fert with a merit app. In the fall aerate seed/ lime/ starter fertilizer. Then a winterizer fert in November. This has to be a fungus or dying grass. The grass blades are just all rotted in the infected areas. Started in the Same areas of the lawn as last time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Difficult to judge from the pics and information.
Do you notice that as you get near the house the grass is greener and less affected? More shade has protected the grass from the hot sun. Area with most sun is worst. I suspect this area dried out a few weeks ago. Most of the grass was killed. The sturdier varieties, or clumps with the deepest roots, survived and greened up, now that rains have resumed. This is mainly perennial rye--correct? Sprinklers look like they are only hitting the far right end. Have an irrigation technician check this.

We get mushrooms here when a rain follows a warm dry spell. Sandy soil here, excess water or poor drainage is never a problem.
Hard to diagnose without knowing the facts, eh? That's one thing I've learned over the few months, especially after calling many "grass experts" and "ag centers". They all need to know the same questions. How much waters applied? Weather Conditions? Fertilizer Schedule? Better yet, what time of day are you watering? There are many people I would consider "experts" here, but without details an "expert" can be useless.