Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They do a lot better than regular blades under most decks. That bottom picture is a new G6 for my Z950.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Member

good news about the leaves with the G6. Just curious, how many of you purchase blades online as opposed to a shop?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just going by the posts I've read on here (where the G6's are concerned), I'd say more than half get them online. A lot of us had to at first since no local dealers had them when they first came out, but almost any decently stocked dealer has them now.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A ocdc has it place it not meant to be a mulching kit. We couldn't get by without them. Saves time with getting grass clippings out of flower beds and places you don't want them to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of you guys using the G6 blades on a turf tracer?
I gotta say I tried them on mine at my house for about 10 minutes and promptly took them off and put my hi-lift blades back on.
Just didn't like the way they cut and discharged on my fescue turf.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
Any of you guys using the G6 blades on a turf tracer?
I gotta say I tried them on mine at my house for about 10 minutes and promptly took them off and put my hi-lift blades back on.
Just didn't like the way they cut and discharged on my fescue turf.
We got a 48" TT that we have ran them on.... They work good on dry grass, but anything wet or damp... Nope. The most use they get is in the fall for leaves.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

all i do is side discharge and use G6 blades. like when using any blade out there it's always better to mow if the grass is dry. if grass is tall/wet it's gonna make clumps no matter what blade you use. the G6 blades are still better when wet though since they bog down the engine less. at least on my mower that's the case. the high lifts would bog down horribly but the G6 blades made it alot better. i have a john deere z920a with 26hp kawi engine.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the exmark and even the toro decks are too tight for G6 and gator blades to work well. With high lifts they cut the grass fine the way it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
hi all
I have 4 high-end accounts in a HOA, cut on a weekly basis. They look pretty good. But always you can see clippings spread across the grass from where I side-discharge. I cut at around 3in high, certainly not more that 1/3 of the grass, but the clippings are still really visible and, with the grass starting to brown, it's getting really noticeable. The bulk of the clippings aren't visible in around 48 hr, but some brown clumps are still visible a week later, when I cut again. Not cool.
Now, the company that cuts across the street from me also cuts around the same height, every week, and also side discharges. And I can never see any clippings!!!! So the grass looks more pro-cut. Frustrating.
I cut with a Scag V-ride, they cut with Exmark riders.
my property and theirs are same sort of grass conditions when we cut- dry, same height, they use more fertilizers I think, but that's about it.
Are they using mulch blades, and then still side-discharging the remainder? Mulch blades always seem to make it harder for me, clog easier, etc. Are their blades 'heigh-lift" maybe? IDK
Why do their lawns show no sign of clippings, even right after cutting, while mine are lying around everywhere, browning, and then just getting re-cut, with more brown, a week later?
One the same line, could/ should I advertise for bagging on a weekly basis, and charge more for this? how many companies bag on a regular basis, or even, won't cut unless they bag?
Pretty much, I'm just looking at putting the quality up a notch, and it's not going to work with grass clipping clumps visible while the property next door looks like no clippings are on it at all.
Thanks for any help!
Love how I just knew which two mowers you were going to mention 4 sentences before you even got to that part. I Have two old ultra cut deck lazers that I wanted to replace this year. I got to play with turf tigers and cheetahs and the cuts were all second rate. It had a hair ball look after mowing certain lawns. I ended up with 2 new Lazer X models and I couldn't be more impressed with how much better my 72 cuts up the clippings with stock blades over the 61 inch cheetah.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

take that stupid chute off the side of your mower. i bet thats your problem