Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
Thank you both for your lengthy service. I got out at little over 10, in 98. As an Arabic linguist, my timing was in some ways quite fortuitous. My old 1SG, retired as a SGM, mentioned the last time he and I spoke, that I got out at just the right time. Perhaps, though sometimes I still wonder. Fort Bragg just opened its own Air Assault school, and I half want to put my boots on and go.
I was out with AB,AA,PF,EFM tabs and a diamond in my chevrons. Only goal I didn't make E9. Hard as hell in the second largest MOS. 91W.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was 98G, and spent much time in not exactly tactical environments, or DLI for languages. So, until I got to Bragg, did not have much opportunity for any cool schools, but of course, the unit here, a tenant unit, had 7 AB slots, and 25 jumpers already. So, instead of spending our training dollars on me to spend a few weeks at either lovely Benning or Campbell, I found a need for regular training at places like Forts Meade or Gordon, or the Foreign Language Training Center Europe, in Garmisch-Partenkirchen when not otherwise in the woods or working operations.
I was a SSG when I got out, my time as 1SG was either in the role at BNCOC, or covering as field 1SG. Both roles convinced me of the importance and fun of being 1SG, but the Army and I disagreed about my next assignment, for which I would have needed to re-up. I did have my H identifier as a small group instructor, and as a 3/3 German, and 3/3 Arabic speaker, I figured I was a shoe-in for instructor duty at DLI - Presidio of Monterey, Ca.
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I worked for half my halo schools. Old program. For every 6 troops I got to sign up I got a choice of school. I did better than the recruiters could. Kids trusted me as I was not a recruiter and told them the truth about Army life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
Fort Bragg just opened its own Air Assault school, and I half want to put my boots on and go.
Back in the day they used to have an AA mobile training team come there from Drum. I was in 1/39 ABN FA which was AA and ABN so we got some slots. I think they have reflagged all the Arty units now to 321st FA. My son is there now in 31st Sig BDE.

Had some wild stuff going on there back in the 90s...sunken track (82nd area) shooter, F-15 crash into a C141 on the tarmac at Pope.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post

Had some wild stuff going on there back in the 90s...sunken track (82nd area) shooter, F-15 crash into a C141 on the tarmac at Pope.
Yup, I was there for the shooter, but the F-15 crash was about 6-8 months before I got here, if I remember correctly? I know that many soldiers/victims were still wearing the hats with the flaps down the back (shades? whatever) as authorized headgear as they were still recovering from the burns. I went through Green Ramp myself a few times. Miserable place on a hot day.

The shooter pretty much kept us from doing even PT tests on the sunken tracks, whether in Division or the one near Corps. We used the track by the school, across from the old Womack location, for about 90% of our PT tests. I bet it was 6 months before my unit was in either pit track.

The MTT for AA came by once while I was at Bragg that I remember? It wasn't that far from where my unit was headquartered in the Old Division Area - which is unrecognizable now.
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!

Last edited by ncpete; 09-18-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Good luck in your new job adventure. I am retired military (Army at the age of 37) and was a cop for 12 years. I decided it was time to be my own boss and do something that I call all of the shots. This has been my first year and I will say that I am surprised by how well it has gone. I have 30 accounts which is just right for someone that is solo; it keeps me busy and I still have some time off (usually only when it rains though). I have learned some valuable lessons and look forward to an even better next year. I will tell you that being a veteran is a good start to getting accounts, as most people are patriotic and respect veterans. That will get your foot in the door if you advertise correctly and get your name out there you should do fine. If you have not already, put together a business plan and follow it realizing there will need to be tweaks along the way as you learn. Ironically, this site helped me tremendously. I learned a long time ago, there is nothing like experience, and many folks on this site have experience and have already been there, so they have solid advice and information. Again, good luck and congratulations on your well deserved "retirement".

Last edited by JR's Lawn Service; 09-22-2013 at 07:10 AM.