Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Thanks for the info. I really hadn't paid much attention in the past, but I do have quite a few customers with good stands of oak. Most of these are on rocky, steep ground. I'll be paying much better attention to the problem in the future. Time to get educated!
There is a stream of revenue dealing with the fallout from oak wilt but I'd rather see it prevented. It's disheartening to see 200 year old trees die in a matter of weeks.

Protecting roots, keeping tree wounds to a minimum, and proper pruning and sealing wounds help to keep the trees healthy but there isn't much you can do once an infection center starts that doesn't involve isolation. Individual treatment of trees with propocazinole may help protect individual trees but it doesn't stop the fungus from spreading to other trees. I've been working with oak wilt for almost 20 years but have never advertised it much because cedar clearing kept me busy and a lot of oak wilt remediation requires hand-cutting and climbers and I can't recycle much of it but we take on some fairly large projects several times a year.

My advice, get educated if you work in central Texas or between TX and Minnesota and understand the life cycle of the fungus, oak tree varieties, and it never hurts to have a knowledgeable arborist on staff or in a close working relationship.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing