Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 PM
slinky slinky is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 122
Vineyard Mowing? Anyone have any experience in this?

Does anyone have experience with mowing the rows between vines at a vineyard? i have a prospective new customer who is looking to have about 6 acres of vines mowed about 4-5 times a year.
I first thought to just put a 72" finish mower on my tractor and mow that way but the guy worries about me hitting the vines, he has 9' between vines. He also wants the clippings bagged at each mowing..
my equipment consist of a 61" zero turn and 52" stander. I have accelerator catchers for both, but I dont bag on a normal basis.
I would like to use the equipment i have, but id also like to do this job as efficiently as possible. Mowing is only one part of the work for me to do on this property, and i usually have no issue with figuring out how to mow a property, but this guy has me stressing about the health of his vines!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 894
I feel like this would be the place for a rear discharge but idk if you can bag with those
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM
GQLL GQLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, Va
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
I feel like this would be the place for a rear discharge but idk if you can bag with those
Walker mowers if he wants it bagged. But for those few of cuts that's going to. e a lot of grass to deal with
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 PM
slinky slinky is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
Walker mowers if he wants it bagged. But for those few of cuts that's going to. e a lot of grass to deal with
Posted via Mobile Device
no plan on getting into another mower... if anything ive thought about putting a cyclone rake on the back of my zero turn just for this property. I have a place to dump the grass on site.

rear discharge was the plan on the 3pt finish mower, but the guy really doesnt want the clippings breaking down between the rows. He says there is a chance the minerals from the grass could taint the taste of the grapes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

rear discharge was the plan on the 3pt finish mower, but the guy really doesnt want the clippings breaking down between the rows. He says there is a chance the minerals from the grass could taint the taste of the grapes.
Wow. I have a couple of winery clients and have talked viticulture with them at length. That's a new one on me. I'd be prepared for a high-maintenance client there.

Just out of curiosity, how is he dealing with weeds immediately under the rows/between the vines?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM
slinky slinky is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
Wow. I have a couple of winery clients and have talked viticulture with them at length. That's a new one on me. I'd be prepared for a high-maintenance client there.

Just out of curiosity, how is he dealing with weeds immediately under the rows/between the vines?
Two ways, directly around the vines they pull them, he then has a walk behind string trimmer set up with a guard so he can mow in between them. Some of the rows he hasn't done any trimming around this year. He says letting the grass grow up around them will slow down some of the vines so they don't grow too vigorously. I am no vine expert and I hope he is since he has over 3100 planted
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,432
Right about here is where I would politely excuse myself on the reasons that I don't feel qualified enough to handle the situation at hand, thank the man for having offered me the opportunity and for his time, wish him a nice day, and then I would be on my way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM
slinky slinky is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right about here is where I would politely excuse myself on the reasons that I don't feel qualified enough to handle the situation at hand, thank the man for having offered me the opportunity and for his time, wish him a nice day, and then I would be on my way.
So you never try anything new? The amount of landscaping to be done around this place makes me want to learn everything I can about taking care of a vineyard
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,279
Well sounds like he wants the clippings bag and you aren't equipped for that.

So maybe you give him a quote for discharge and explain you can't bag. Maybe he changes his mind.

I would also write into my estimate that I'm not responsible for the clippings or trimming(if he does not do bare ground control) damaging the vines.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
So you never try anything new? The amount of landscaping to be done around this place makes me want to learn everything I can about taking care of a vineyard
Posted via Mobile Device
It's like playing poker, here I am holding almost a pair and this guy's over there talking like he's got four of a kind or better...
And granted I haven't discarded yet but he's most likely not bluffing which is how I also know it's a whole lot easier to simply admit defeat, and fold.

When I just know I'm going to take a whooping...

At least as things stand thus far, I'm only out the time spent estimating.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.08712 seconds with 9 queries