Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:18 PM
cwarlick cwarlick is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
Posts: 8
How do you PRO's handle this

So i get a drive by "Hey can you swing by my house after your done" from a buddy of mines neighborhood. I am prepping his yard for overseeding, so I tell him i can come back tomorrow. I show up at a predermined time (owner knew) and there is a note on the door asking me to call him if I get done before he gets home from lunch and a PS "please bag the backyard." get my gear ready and head to the back and there is DOG POOP all over the yard. I have driven 25 minutes for just this one yard. I charged him a little extra but next time i think I will just walk. This is a side job for me. How do you PRO's handle situations like this?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Outlawn's Avatar
Outlawn Outlawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 317
Not being critical here, but why did you charge extra for dog poop on the lawn? Did you pick it all up or something? I'm not asking that with any attitude, I'm just honestly curious.
I'd say do it or don't. If it's an inconvenience, which I could totally understand, just tell him you're not interested in doing the lawn or it's not going to work for your route or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,706
Oh dear, I can see right away you most likely have not been through certain indoctrination courses where folks learn how to best deal with things such as dog feces "hands on," and this could well be problematic. Normally I'd break it down myself but I'm an old man now and I have been through so much, the grey hair situation seems to be improving little by the day so I'm thinking it would probably be best I let the younger crowd tackle this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 PM
GQLL GQLL is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hampton Roads, Va
Posts: 654
We charge per bag we pick up. We use gallon bags and cost around 10 dollars. They learn after the first time or they keep getting charged and it takes us about 10 more minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 PM
rob7233's Avatar
rob7233 rob7233 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 9b Central FL
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
Not being critical here, but why did you charge extra for dog poop on the lawn? Did you pick it all up or something? I'm not asking that with any attitude, I'm just honestly curious.
I'd say do it or don't. If it's an inconvenience, which I could totally understand, just tell him you're not interested in doing the lawn or it's not going to work for your route or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ever had the experience of hitting a poop pile near a fence line with your trimmer? You best be wearing glasses and also a face mask would help too... The extra charge is nowhere enough for that.

Domestic animals have a meat based diet vs. plant based. Do you wanna guess why you don't want to track that around into your truck then to your home carpet (where maybe your baby crawls) etc.?
__________________
Some of you will become "Victims of your Vote"
Unfortunately, you're gonna drag the rest of us in it too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 PM
cwarlick cwarlick is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
Posts: 8
The only reason I ask is that he mentioned nothing about bagging when we visited. I am not in the dog poop gathering business. Do you guys take the bagged grass or do you leave by the customers trash can? I have made the decision to leave the grass with the customer. Guess I can be more picky since this is a side business. Thanks for the input. New to the site and really enjoying the info. Stay Green!

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 AM
SaberLawnCare SaberLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St Louis Mo
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarlick View Post
So i get a drive by "Hey can you swing by my house after your done" from a buddy of mines neighborhood. I am prepping his yard for overseeding, so I tell him i can come back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
The way this sounds is you're at your buddy's house and this guy lives up the street or in the same neighborhood as your buddy.

I would have gotten his address, stopped by after prepping my buddy's lawn, looked around the property, seen the dog crap and either said no, or told him to have the crap cleaned up before I mow.

Never say yes to something before you have eyes on the property.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 AM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarlick View Post
So i get a drive by "Hey can you swing by my house after your done" from a buddy of mines neighborhood. I am prepping his yard for overseeding, so I tell him i can come back tomorrow. I show up at a predermined time (owner knew) and there is a note on the door asking me to call him if I get done before he gets home from lunch and a PS "please bag the backyard." get my gear ready and head to the back and there is DOG POOP all over the yard. I have driven 25 minutes for just this one yard. I charged him a little extra but next time i think I will just walk. This is a side job for me. How do you PRO's handle situations like this?

Thanks,
Chris
We don't have time for one-time mowings. I'm not being arrogant. We honestly don't have time for that. All 5 of our crews are already busy 40-43 hours a week with their pre-set routes. I'm not going to take a crew off their route, give them overtime, just to make a couple bucks. Not even worth our time. In that case, we would just tell someone we have a minimum service call of $150.00 and that will usually scare them away. Now, if they want a quote for regular weekly service, that's another thing. We'd be glad to meet them in person, go over the property, give them a detailed quote, talk about service, etc. But only in person and only if they are wanting regular service. Those one time $25-$50 jobbies??? No. You do that and you're losing money and you don't even realize it.
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 AM
123hotdog's Avatar
123hotdog 123hotdog is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bristol TN
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
We don't have time for one-time mowings. I'm not being arrogant. We honestly don't have time for that. All 5 of our crews are already busy 40-43 hours a week with their pre-set routes. I'm not going to take a crew off their route, give them overtime, just to make a couple bucks. Not even worth our time. In that case, we would just tell someone we have a minimum service call of $150.00 and that will usually scare them away. Now, if they want a quote for regular weekly service, that's another thing. We'd be glad to meet them in person, go over the property, give them a detailed quote, talk about service, etc. But only in person and only if they are wanting regular service. Those one time $25-$50 jobbies??? No. You do that and you're losing money and you don't even realize it.
This is 100 % right. I stopped doing one time mowings years ago and I'm an owner operator with one crew.
__________________
Licensed and Insured
Operating since 2007
1993 Isuzu NPR dove tail open bed 4cyl diesel
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 AM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Ever had the experience of hitting a poop pile near a fence line with your trimmer? You best be wearing glasses and also a face mask would help too... The extra charge is nowhere enough for that.
I am sure this sounds crazy but I don't go looking for piles to hit.
With the trimmer...

Matter of fact I make sure not to hit them, I'm having a hard time envisioning you hitting them on purpose but I do recall a year when my level of experience wasn't high enough to keep the feces out of my face...

It sucks but the OP volunteered, as some might recall the thread started with...
"Hey can you swing by my house after your done" from a buddy of mine...
The man asked, the OP agreed.

So you're probably just going to have to use this as a learning experience.
Don't go hitting things with the trimmer, piles of poop might be on the list.
On another note, now you know why I ALWAYS go look at the WHOLE job before quoting an estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Domestic animals have a meat based diet vs. plant based. Do you wanna guess why you don't want to track that around into your truck then to your home carpet (where maybe your baby crawls) etc.?
That might be why I would clean it up first, then mow, then trim.
There is also no requirement to have your domestic animals on a meat based diet.
And wouldn't you know, the poop of animals whose diet is mostly plant based smells less.
But what do I know, I'm just the lawn guy.

Last edited by herler; 09-23-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Page generated in 0.08706 seconds with 9 queries