I have a guy who will do it for a dollar a foot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub it out to that guy! I couldn't even cover my overhead for $1200
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking $3-4 a square foot, is that too high?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 30 yard dumpsters at $300, a bobcat with grapple bucket $550, 3 guys with rakes and sledge hammers, and then your overhead and taxes on profit. Saying it takes one day, you should charge around $2000 and make around $400 after everything. but what happens if the job ends up taking 2 days? You are out of pocket to finish. However You should be able to finish in one day if you have everything on site.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
2 30 yard dumpsters at $300, a bobcat with grapple bucket $550, 3 guys with rakes and sledge hammers, and then your overhead and taxes on profit. Saying it takes one day, you should charge around $2000 and make around $400 after everything. but what happens if the job ends up taking 2 days? You are out of pocket to finish. However You should be able to finish in one day if you have everything on site.
I'd have to think hard about having to line up everything, get everybody together, and only make $400. Seems like slim margins.. What if you tear something up? There goes most the profit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you can run a bobcat and the cans are there at 8am you should be sweeping up at lunch. One or two guys on the ground max.

Why are they just ripping it?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppaving View Post
Whats up everyone, i got my first driveway removal estimate today:

21' x 67' (it tapers slightly from 21' to 19')

VERY basic rectangle driveway....

Its about 1400-1450 sq. ft.

Its currently old 3-4" blacktop

what should i charge to remove it (im guessing per square foot right)

ill have to rent the bobcat and dump trailer as well...thank you!!
That's about a tri-ax load of asphalt. I would charge about 1500 or so, but it would only take me 3 hours max. The real money comes when laying the new one. This is based on a 4 hour rental of the tri-ax and I own my own excavators and skids. Dumping fees here are about 10bucks a ton. I'm figuring 20 tons max in there at 4" depth.
Everyone has a different scenario, so don't come on here expecting someone to tell you how much to charge. We all must base the charges on our experience and our equipment availability. If you own nothing and only rent then you may be best to just sub it out to someone who knows what they're doing and has the equipment to do so.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
If you can run a bobcat and the cans are there at 8am you should be sweeping up at lunch. One or two guys on the ground max.

Why are they just ripping it?
I was thinking about prep work for a new driveway too. Wouldn't you be expected to grade it and prep for concrete? That takes forever if they used a gravel base.

The $400 would be what you get after taxes and all (my) overhead. I would be happy to take home $400 after easy jobs like this. That's good money my friend.

And zedo can do this job for $1500 because he has the equipment, man power, and experience to do the job quick and correctly. Unfortunately for us little guys, we have to protect ourselves and bid higher.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
I was thinking about prep work for a new driveway too. Wouldn't you be expected to grade it and prep for concrete? That takes forever if they used a gravel base.

The $400 would be what you get after taxes and all (my) overhead. I would be happy to take home $400 after easy jobs like this. That's good money my friend.

And zedo can do this job for $1500 because he has the equipment, man power, and experience to do the job quick and correctly. Unfortunately for us little guys, we have to protect ourselves and bid higher.
I understand that it's all money but it just doesn't quite seem worth it to me, but I've never torn up asphalt, just concrete... But for all that hassle I'd rather just sub it out, make $100-$200 and not have to work..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be in the $1500-1800 range.

I own my Skidsteer and would hauloff with my 20yd dump trailer. We have a local recycling place that takes concrete and asphalt for free.
Posted via Mobile Device