Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I think it's irresponsible to be operating power equipment that has the potential to cause both property damage and personal injury on a customer's property. I think it automatically follows that if you can't afford an insurance premium then you can't afford to pay for any damages you may cause. Property damage is finite but personal injury damages can be huge. I pay my insurance to protect my business and personal assets as well as because I feel it is my responsibility to my customers to be insured.
I agree 100%. Hit a rock and hurt a person there goes your life. I was sued for a slip and fall about 3 years ago on a property I plowed the snow at. My insurance picked up the lawyer fees and settled it out of court. That was sure a fun year of lawyer meetings and being deposed. Total cost of lawyer fees and her settlement was about 85K. Glad I had insurance.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Best advice I can give off of my short 3-4 yrs. experience:

Stick to your guns no matter what. Don't cut dishonest or cheap customers any price breaks. When dealing with good, honest customers, cut them deals whenever you can. When a customer tells you that they are accepting bids either end the conversation right there or instruct them to never contact you again. Not only will you be saving yourself the pain of working for such people, you will also be saving your integrity and moral strength. Don't engage in the degeneration of our industry. Be proud of what you do and who you are.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb01 View Post
its because you are low on potassium prob, try drinking orange juice with breakfast, another 12-16 oz in the afternoon, and again after work...you need at least 4-5k mg of potassium a day, you lose more when you sweat a lot, water has 0 gatorade has something like 30-40mg per 8oz, orange juice (not frozen) has something like 450mg per 8 oz...also try a few salt tabs during the day if you sweat a lot
Great advice. That's just what my doctor told me when i was dehydrated a couple of years ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

tips

found and joined this site initially because of this thread.
i have almost no experience in lawn care. but i have been pulling boats and trailers since before i had my license. one thing i can suggest is a spare trailer hub, greased and ready to go. try changing a hub on the side of the road on a sunday in the sticks. its hot, your boat is swaying from the butthole drivers not moving over enough and that pathetic scissor jack is doing little keep the trailer from crushing your legs.
jack stand, like a floor jack.
hub and spare tire.
4 way tire tool.
and don't buy cheap ass tires.
carry at least a rachet strap big enough to lift the axle for you to limp home.

obviously, i'm scarred. i know guys that pull boat trailers all summer and never grease the hubs, much less repack the bearings. those little bearing buddy's from wal mart only bathe the outer bearing, not the inner bearing. me, i pull my aluminum mud boat for one summer and the hub locks up on the interstate, going 65mph.

more to come as i recall them... take care.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughn Mowerson View Post
I'm not insured. Live in LA where insurance is very expensive. Almost would cost me a sliding door per month to justify insurance. I don't mean to pry, but how much is your insurance a month?
I think I pay like 200$ a year or less. That's for a solo operation and 500,000$ coverage
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello

I'm from Northwest FL, I'm 19 and been in this industry for 2 years, in college full time and am running my own lawn care company full time with about 25 customers. I don't really enjoy it that much because it isn't what I want to do the rest of my life but I've learned tons about how business works.

Here's my 2 cents to any teenagers or anyone getting into this business. You don't ever lowball, and don't ever get a false sense of responsibility toward someone, their urgency isn't your emergency. Find out what the people do for a living before taking on their business so you have some security. Buy reliable equipment!!!!!!! I run a Gravely 44HD with 24hp Kawasaki, Echo weedeaters and edgers and blowers. Don't buy offbrand crap just because it's cheaper, your maintenance support will suck. Just a side note, when buying a riding mower, check the muffler mounts, if the muffler breaks, its not professional to run something as loud as a NASCAR in their yard.

If your a teenager, do not be overconfident and do not take business away from other landscaping guys, this is their livelihood, you probably still live with your parents.

GET AN ALLY, seriously, someone you can count on if you have any sort of extenuating circumstances. You trade favors with that person and don't screw that up.

Lets see here, don't be afraid to give prices, people know what stuff costs, and make sure you either have them mailing you checks or your collecting at the door, don't do any of this mess of calling and meeting up and all this other bull, you'll lose all your profit margin just hunting people down.

God Bless!! and Happy Mowing!!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't buy equipment from an online company like mowersdirect. You will get ripped off. I made that mistake and I am paying for it. Go to a dealer where you can see what you are buying.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm View Post
air tank ,tire plugs,starter fluid,spare tire in my case one suffices for truck and trailer,little1/2 impact wrenches
that plug into cigerette lighter takes blades and tires
of no sweat,exstra blades an belts,sting stopper clorox will work,firstaid items ,12 volt quick starter
common sense and a sense of humor for the days when you discover NOTHIN IS GOING TO GO RIGHT TODAY
Perfect!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PestPro View Post
Ask yourself,,,,If they were your loyal customers, would you not expect themm to say the same for you. If you keep working hard and being fair, it time you to will have LOYAL customers.
Agreed!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildassBaughb View Post
How did we get off on how to engage a clutch?

Rules to go by to improve or start a business.
1. Start local, advertise local. I stay withing my own zip code (within a city).
2. Do quality work.
3. Be reliable.
4. Follow through on promises/commitments.

Ideas:

Mowing clients:
Give an estimate that you can live with and make an honest profit. I offer 3 options for new estimates: 1. Occasional service (example $55) 2. Scheduled Service every 7-10 days ($51) with these 2 options payment is due upon completion. 3. Super Saver Plan (Scheduled Service) pay 4 cuts in advance at a time ($46 X 4=$184). Clients like the idea of choices and almost all choose option 3 to save more money. Now you're not working with your money or borrowed money, your using their and they like it that way. 98 percent of my mowing clients are on this plan.

Mowing plus clients:
If a client does more business with me, then I offer a yearly plan with annual, semi-annual or monthly payments. "Plus" items include: landscape maintenance, lawn treatments and landscape treatments.

These methods work. Try'em.
Looks great!, I'll give it a try!
Posted via Mobile Device