Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've watched them laying drain tile on many farms about 30-60 miles from us. One of which I used to deer hunt on every year. It is an interesting process, and you are right- many farms really need the draining help or they never dry enough to allow the crops to grow, or for the large machines to be able to even get out on them to plant in the first place. Where I live, the water table is only about 12'-16' down at the most, and the soil is a sandy/loamy mix that drains easily- almost too easily. 30 miles in one direction from us though, is the lowest and wettest area in the state. It is solid clay that goes down for a long way. We need rain here at least once a week or the lawns and crops start drying out quick, yet out there they much prefer to have no rain for most of the summer months, so I understand your dynamics pretty well.

Why is it that your newer SZ looks much higher in the front end than you old one? It looks like quite a difference in angle front to rear. It seems that with the rearward rake to the frame (which would make the front end lighter and skip over rough ground easier), and the flex forks and added length, that is what contributes to your ride quality.