Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
If I had a hydro walk behind I'd be running a proslide. They're awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are they only designed for Hydro's? I heard something about this in the past not be compatable with some belt drives but haven't looked into it yet.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Are they only designed for Hydro's? I heard something about this in the past not be compatable with some belt drives but haven't looked into it yet.
Yeah Im not sure why you could run one on a 48 Viking but it is not advised on a 48 Metro. I have seen several of them on Metro's and the Goslide says it is usable with any WB. I posted a thread about putting one on my 36 Metro earlier and everyone suggested I not do it. I just continue to walk as I have 1 month at the most of mowing left. I want to add a 48 Metro next year and put a Proslide on it but don't want to make a $500 mistake. I don't want any type of wheeled unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48inch Metro and wanted to also put the proslide on it , I'm going to look into it soon and let you know.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Yeah Im not sure why you could run one on a 48 Viking but it is not advised on a 48 Metro. I have seen several of them on Metro's and the Goslide says it is usable with any WB. I posted a thread about putting one on my 36 Metro earlier and everyone suggested I not do it. I just continue to walk as I have 1 month at the most of mowing left. I want to add a 48 Metro next year and put a Proslide on it but don't want to make a $500 mistake. I don't want any type of wheeled unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 48" Viking and use the Exmark Standon with it. But my Viking is hydro, not belt...
Old 09-21-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a Velke single for years behind a Toro t-bar belt drive. It handles much better than my two wheel Jungle Jim. The two wheels are a little easier on bumpy ground due to lower tire pressure with two tires. The single tracks straighter with less "fish tailing". I use a two wheel behind a hydro, and single behind a belt drive.

When the ground gets soft, a 200lb man on a single becomes a plow. Pros and cons to both.

Open discharge, gators everywhere. And I think the Velke x2 is a great place to start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Not enough power and too much friction for a Proslide to work on a 36.

Can't see the benefit of a Proslide over a wheeled velke/sulky, especially with crossing a driveway, riding a sidewalk, not being able to back up, riding it up a trailer gate, etc... Gotta wear out pretty fast and gotta slow down even the most powerful walk behind compared to wheel/s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use a sulky on a single hydro?
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-22-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a few lawns where we could either use a 36" walk behind (belt drive) or a 21". We opt for the 36" due to the large back yards. Anyways, we run the 36" belt drive with a two wheel sulky. Pulls around my guy with ease. He's 6'2" about 190; no problems.

Granted we only use it on a few properties a week; but at that it works just fine.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on how fuel consumption in your walk-behind with sulky/velke compares to Stand on mowers? Obviously it consumes more fuel than if you were just walking behind it, but is it as much as a larger stand on or Rider unit?
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on how fuel consumption in your walk-behind with sulky/velke compares to Stand on mowers? Obviously it consumes more fuel than if you were just walking behind it, but is it as much as a larger stand on or Rider unit?
I've noticed no difference. It takes very, very little power to keep a person's weight moving at 2 or 3, even 6 mph.