Register free!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Agrostis is right Bermuda might persist.
You could add some annual or perennial rye--but not too much--and make sure it is a type that claims to "transition easily" (dies quick in heat). And make sure you know how to kill the rye to clean up any that persists. I cannot advise you on that.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I don't like the idea of putting bermuda into the mix. I know you need a cover crop but i don't see the centipede out competing the bermuda, you could wind up with a real mess. You have irrigation, if you stay on top of the weed's you should be able to do it.
That's what I was thinking but I looked at a yard that was done by this company 2 years ago and it is mostly centipede. May ask them to just use centipede.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We did a complete renovation with tif blair centipede seed this past spring, it took almost two months to come in good and we spread at 2 pds per thousand which is very heavy for centipede, and watered a LOT in the beginning and then the rain came in and probably caused more problems than anything, anyway, I'm thinking we spread too heavy actually. it looks good now but it did take some TLC to get going.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I checked into hydro seeding and it seeems to be the way to go. They said they mix the centipede in with a hybrid bermuda. According to them the bermuda gives a stand of grass the 1st year and then the centipede takes over as time goes. What do you think about this?

Tenacity, good idea, would you apply pre plant or after seed germinates?

So a triazine such as metsulfuron would not affect new seedlings? I read the label and it mentions new landscape plantings but not grass seed. Just wondering since I tend to use metsulfuron a lot.
No bermuda. It is faster growing than the centipede and if it does not die out or get choked out, what an expensive mess to kill off. I would use the Tenacity as the preemergent over the seeded area, with the ability to apply two more 4 oz application if needed. Metsulfuron should be saved for when the centipede has been growing for at least a year. I would consider milder products like Quicksilver for broadleaf weed control during grow in.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738