Register free!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Clearing from powerlines

Hey guys, I don't think that I have posted in this section before, but thought I would post about this. I have trimmed some trees, but most of my business is mowing. That being said, I know a little bit about what is good and bad for trees and what they should look like when trimmed.
I live in central Texas and I have noticed for the past couple of months that we (the city of San Angelo) have had a tree service with bucket trucks and chippers all over the city trimming the trees away from power lines. I assume that they have been hired by the city on a large contract to trim all the trees back away from power lines. Now, I know that they have most likely only been hired to trim trees away from power lines, and they aren't there to make the trees look good......blah blah blah. I know. But it is disheartening to see them hack these big beautiful pecans, mesquites, and Oakes back away from the power lines. Trust me when I tell you that the trees do not look good when they are done. Lopsided, ugly, asymmetrical......these are a few words to describe the trees. What's worse is that we have had a pretty extensive drought for the past 3 or 4 years, and it has taken its toll on the area. Lots of dead or dying trees, so I hate to see them put more stress on the trees.
I know that there is nothing that can be done about it except to see if people would like the trees that are now misshapen, trimmed and shaped. But it just sucks to see. I know it isn't the company's fault or the city's fault per se, they are simply doing the job that they were hired to do. Just sucks
Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just the way it is. When powerline's and tree's compete for space, the powerline's win, every time.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Being a certified/licensed Arborist and Utility Arborist, I'll add my 2cents. Pruning guidelines for Utility ROWs are very different from everyday pruning. The #1 reason for utility pruning is to insure no damage or interruption is caused to the lines at anytime.

Aesthetic pruning does not cater to utility pruning.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/battle...063213097.html
Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my neighborhood has all the utilities buried, and slowly the local community is converting to that for everything, but the new growth gets done first. No ugly tree trimming here

I remember the trees of San Angelo, actually pretty striking compared to many west Texas communities - Much better than Killeen when I was there.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
my neighborhood has all the utilities buried, and slowly the local community is converting to that for everything, but the new growth gets done first. No ugly tree trimming here

I remember the trees of San Angelo, actually pretty striking compared to many west Texas communities - Much better than Killeen when I was there.
Growing up all I can remember is beautiful, lush St.Augustine and ginormous pecan trees. So many trees are dead/dying its ridiculous. We have been hit hard and put under a lot of stress with the drought. More people are moving in from oilfield, more fracking in the area (which uses a staggering amount if water), and little rain mean not much left for landscapes. A lot of people don't water their trees, and it is very evident.
2 years ago we only had 8" of rain for the whole year, last year we had 14 I think, and we have had about 12 this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 AM

I think Power companies can be fined by the Feds if a power outage is caused by a tree. They are starting to put power lines underground here too when it comes to new development. Some municipalities are helping pay for the change over. Now it seems dumb to have put lines on poles. I have read, they did that because it was cheaper to do so. Looks very primitive and short sighted now. Not only is it terrible for the landscape but terrible for communities when a storm can bring business and communities to a standstill. Where a squirrel or a auto accident can knock out power Many will be stuck with pole power lines for a long time because of the expense to switch over to underground. Many trees here have been hacked to deformity and/or completely cut down. No one wants to go through a long term power outage. I panic in the first few hours of a power outage
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Just HORRIBLE

Outlawn,

I couldn't agree more with your feelings about Utility Line trimming. As the owner of a Tree Service in South Jersey, I deal with this EVERY DAY. The good new is that some communities in this area have adopted VERY STRICT guidelines for the utility companies, although the BPU and other guidelines supersede township ordinances many communities have won the battle by forcing utility companies to submit permit requests to the township prior to doing the work. Ive seen townships require the utility companies to remove trees "free of charge" if their trimming renders the tree "Undesirable"
Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwklaudijr View Post
Outlawn,

I couldn't agree more with your feelings about Utility Line trimming. As the owner of a Tree Service in South Jersey, I deal with this EVERY DAY. The good new is that some communities in this area have adopted VERY STRICT guidelines for the utility companies, although the BPU and other guidelines supersede township ordinances many communities have won the battle by forcing utility companies to submit permit requests to the township prior to doing the work. Ive seen townships require the utility companies to remove trees "free of charge" if their trimming renders the tree "Undesirable"
Make a thread which you're work. We don't like seo posts here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwklaudijr View Post
Outlawn,

the communities that delay tree trimming scream the loudest when the electric goes off. I say they should be the last ones to get it turned back on. Electric companies are damned if they do and damned if they don't.