Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
You guys are carrying this way to far and it is misleading. An LLC has a purpose and carrying the proper amount of insurance has a purpose. Together you have a legit company and for the most part are protected.
You're right. A properly set up corporation with a reasonable amount of insurance is the right way to go. Your legal, can sleep at night and always have the option to fine tune the machine as you grow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your input. All opinions are valued. I have had some (including the Sec. of State) suggest I ask our accountant. Since it is just hubby and I just getting started (lawn mower/whacker with plans to get a few more items), we are our own accountant. Today, we sent in our M/O to Sec. of State for our legit business name, and should things take off and need the LLC, we will go that direction. For now, being so small, hubby will be talking to our insurance company on other options.

Thanks again....
Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Um, yes it does, but to an extent. An LLC (limited liability company) won't protect you if you run someone over with your mower, but it will protect you if you underbid a $250,000 job and need to declare bankruptcy. I have no idea why people think that an LLC instantly protects your personal assets from legal situations that you are personally responsible for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonshines View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. All opinions are valued. I have had some (including the Sec. of State) suggest I ask our accountant. Since it is just hubby and I just getting started (lawn mower/whacker with plans to get a few more items), we are our own accountant. Today, we sent in our M/O to Sec. of State for our legit business name, and should things take off and need the LLC, we will go that direction. For now, being so small, hubby will be talking to our insurance company on other options.

Thanks again....
The first post I quoted is spot on. An LLC does personally protect you somewhat. When you're at the point that you have employees if they run someone over on the mower, with an LLC the person can sue the employee and they can sue the business (if the person violated a business policy you're kind of safe but lets pretend you're not). As long as you didn't personally tell your employee to run that person over your personal assets are safe. Had you told the employee it's ok to run people over then your personal assets are up for grabs when you personally are named in the suit. If it's just you and hubby no matter what the incident is your personal assets will be up for grabs.

The other thing that was mentioned in this thread is credit and bankruptcy. With a DBA if you use credit and the business goes bankrupt your personal assets are up for grabs. An LLC will protect a portion of your personal assets from that claim.

As always a CPA familiar with local laws and taxes is the best to answer this question but in general a family business with no debt there is no reason for an LLC. Once you start hiring employees or using credit some sort of separation (LLC or corp) will protect your personal assets.

The post mentioning employee meetings with minutes etc only applies to corporations to the best of my knowledge.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
The post mentioning employee meetings with minutes etc only applies to corporations to the best of my knowledge.
Your post was spot on. With regard to meetings with minutes, multi-member LLCs should have these along with a charter.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
With a DBA if you use credit and the business goes bankrupt your personal assets are up for grabs. An LLC will protect a portion of your personal assets from that claim.
True except creditors are wise to this and will require a personal guarantee which puts your personal assets on the line. Sometimes if the business has been established a long time and has an excellent credit history they will let you sign in the name of the company. But don't count on it unless it's for a low credit limit. And if you are a new company it has no credit history, so the only way to get credit is in your name. So now you are back to the same as being a DBA.

Quote:
I have had some (including the Sec. of State) suggest I ask our accountant. Since it is just hubby and I just getting started (lawn mower/whacker with plans to get a few more items), we are our own accountant.
Big mistake! Not to be rude, but if you are asking these kinds of questions you really do need professional input. Do you know anything about the required record keeping, sales tax, setting up a business checking account and how it should be used, determining your net income and filing the proper tax forms at tax time? You don't have to have an ongoing relationship with an accountant but you do need one just to get you set up properly and keep you out of trouble with the IRS and state. The one time expense is money well spent.

Last edited by CL&T; 09-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
True except creditors are wise to this and will require a personal guarantee which puts your personal assets on the line. Sometimes if the business has been established a long time and has an excellent credit history they will let you sign in the name of the company. But don't count on it unless it's for a low credit limit. And if you are a new company it has no credit history, so the only way to get credit is in your name. So now you are back to the same as being a DBA.
Yes, in a way creditors look at the business the same as a person. When you're first starting out it's not that you have bad credit it's that you have no credit, just like a young person starting out on credit. By putting your personal name or the names of your partners on the application it's pretty much the same as being cosigners on the loan for a child. With time and good use you can raise your business credit score to be able to acquire credit in the sole name of the business. Also at a certain point you can sometimes use business assets to guarantee credit.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a CEO accountant (Our yearly tax man) just not a "personal" accountant. I have set up a business bank account before (in the past). We also have worked with livestock 20 years (we had over 10 acres) buying/selling. So I think we will manage lawns vs cattle. =) Just making sure we have all corners covered.....
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Decided to go ahead with the LLC---just in case....
Old 09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonshines View Post
Decided to go ahead with the LLC---just in case....
Smart move in my book. best of luck to you and I hope your business thrives.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Smart move in my book. best of luck to you and I hope your business thrives.
Thank you, and I hope yours does well too!