Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 vs separate pumps and wheel motors

OK I'm trying to figure out if one is better than the other or if it is a wash. It seems like the separate pumps and wheel motor machine drive a bit smoother but will they both last just as long?
I'm looking at the gravely pro turn 160 and ferris 700is that both have the Dual Hydro-Gear ZT-3400 transaxles with 7" mounted cooling fans. Versus a grasshopper 226v with Smooth H1 hydrostatic pump and wheel motor drive system with cooling fans and 7 micron absolute filter. And a scag tiger cat with Dual Pumps; 10cc displacement, Hydro-Gear.

Am I going to notice a difference once I get out and start mowing with it and is one better than the other? Your comments are appreciated thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to know also the pros and cons of pumps and wheel motors vs Hydrogear 3400 please.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, the separate pump and wheel motor is not a true serviceable transmission. Manufacturer recommends not draining oil out of pumps or motors, so you just empty reservoir and change filters. They are pressurized so are more prone to blowing oil out of fittings, leaks, better chance of air in the lines messing up the pumps.
On a combined system it is more like an auto transmission. Ran more with gears. You drain complete system cause filters are in bottom of pumps. Then not as many hoses, leaks, etc.
Ok the pump and wheel motor is said when properly maintained to last longer, run smoother, etc, but I have noticed over the years its debate able what the proper procedure for taking care of the system properly is....
I have seen issues with both, so for me its a toss up. I like the 5400's out of them all so far the least issues....
I would drive them atleast in the parking lot first, I have a lot of guys lean on the 226 that drive it due to its smoother feel, but the 160 and czt is really improved and smoother this year too..... I am not a huge Scag fan, after all the hype on here and using them in the field I feel they are overrated.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Ok, the separate pump and wheel motor is not a true serviceable transmission. Manufacturer recommends not draining oil out of pumps or motors, so you just empty reservoir and change filters. They are pressurized so are more prone to blowing oil out of fittings, leaks, better chance of air in the lines messing up the pumps.
On a combined system it is more like an auto transmission. Ran more with gears. You drain complete system cause filters are in bottom of pumps. Then not as many hoses, leaks, etc.
Ok the pump and wheel motor is said when properly maintained to last longer, run smoother, etc, but I have noticed over the years its debate able what the proper procedure for taking care of the system properly is....
I have seen issues with both, so for me its a toss up. I like the 5400's out of them all so far the least issues....
I would drive them atleast in the parking lot first, I have a lot of guys lean on the 226 that drive it due to its smoother feel, but the 160 and czt is really improved and smoother this year too..... I am not a huge Scag fan, after all the hype on here and using them in the field I feel they are overrated.
Very well said
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I am not a huge Scag fan, after all the hype on here and using them in the field I feel they are overrated.
Hard to call Scag overrated IMO. The velocity deck is the most copied deck in the industry which has remained unchanged since 2006. Also probably more 5000+ hour TT's out there than any other mower even close to that amount of hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Hard to call Scag overrated IMO. The velocity deck is the most copied deck in the industry which has remained unchanged since 2006. Also probably more 5000+ hour TT's out there than any other mower even close to that amount of hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Overall I liked the TT but did not like the drive shaft. the front caster were weak too and their are some tougher decks out there.

All in one units can be fine but I was lead to believe because they do not hold much oil so you should change it all the time? in any event you can make a stout all in one unit but none of the drives are of the grade of the new Super HD, Hustler can add to that mower and the drive should take it.

It gives you a idea with the Super 104 model, the Super Z Hd can handle a 2000 pound load easily.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Overall I liked the TT but did not like the drive shaft. the front caster were weak too and their are some tougher decks out there.

All in one units can be fine but I was lead to believe because they do not hold much oil so you should change it all the time? in any event you can make a stout all in one unit but none of the drives are of the grade of the new Super HD, Hustler can add to that mower and the drive should take it.

It gives you a idea with the Super 104 model, the Super Z Hd can handle a 2000 pound load easily.
My scag dealer has one TT that comes in with over 7000 hours. Says its the most he has seen on a ZTR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The all in ones have really come a long way. As RS stated the biggest drawback is lack of oil capacity and they haven't made any really big units yet. They have their place. In the the top of the line regardless of maker I still prefer seperate pump and motor. They produce the torque needed by the big frame 60 and 72 models that will see severe duty. Another downfall with the all in ones is you can't add aux coolers and they have strainers instead of filters. All fine for light to med duty but not severe yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The 5400's are made for severe duty. Each side has its own reservoir, element filter and cooling fan. These are the future of hydro's with planetary gear sets like the automotive and heavy equipment industry. Here is a vid with more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQIk4HhTmVU
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

600ft lbs and 18mph with standard replaceable cartridges. That's the future. My concern is the cost. Changing a motor or a pump was bad enough these are going to be pricey. I still want to add capacity and coolers.
Posted via Mobile Device