Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question Need a pole saw: HT101, HT131, or PPT280 ?

I am looking for a pole saw for trimming 6-8" oak branches, medium duty use. I like the 5 year warranty of the Echo PTT280 but I do not like the loop handle, but I hear the shaft may be stronger on the Echo. From what I researched the HT101 seems like a reliable unit, I know the HT131 has more power but I've read more complaints about it when compared to the 101. My other equipment is Stihl so I am familiar w/doing valve adjustments.

Any experiences/suggestions?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
I am looking for a pole saw for trimming 6-8" oak branches, medium duty use. I like the 5 year warranty of the Echo PTT280 but I do not like the loop handle, but I hear the shaft may be stronger on the Echo. From what I researched the HT101 seems like a reliable unit, I know the HT131 has more power but I've read more complaints about it when compared to the 101. My other equipment is Stihl so I am familiar w/doing valve adjustments.

Any experiences/suggestions?
Stihl has better power, but the telescoping shafts suck. I have a ht101, shaft broke last week. Not a cheap fix. Echo simply wins the polesaw reliability award.

If I had it to do over, I'd buy the Echo. Just don't hear about people breaking their telescoping shafts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Stihl has better power, but the telescoping shafts suck. I have a ht101, shaft broke last week. Not a cheap fix. Echo simply wins the polesaw reliability award.

If I had it to do over, I'd buy the Echo. Just don't hear about people breaking their telescoping shafts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. How did the shaft break? From impact?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No compare, ECHO. It's hard to mess a Echo shaft up but on a Sthil it's hard not to mess it up.

Go look at them yourself side by side, the Echo is made much better.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was t from an impact. The shaft actually broke in use. On mine, it broke about a foot from the cutter end. Seems they break in quite a few ways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i hate a HT131 and have had no problems with it cant comment on echo
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

When looking at pole saws, what's the most important thing to look for - aside from doing the job...?

Sounds like you guys are really into Echo for the durable shaft.

What about extended pole size? Weight? Telescopic pole? Shoulder strap?

What's the "perfect pole saw"?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest the 131.

Stihl:
Chain Saws: 029 Farm Boss, MS291, MS391
Weed eaters: FS85R, FS110R, FS130R, FS250R
Polesaw: HT131
Leaf Blower: SG86

Honda:
(2) EU2000i Generators

Husqvarna
HU800WH 22" Self Propel Push Mower with Honda Engine
HU625HWT 22" Weed-eater on wheels.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

so I was/am in the same boat but I am comparing husky to Stihl. Husky is cheaper but you don't have the power that Stihl does and husky telescopes about 2ft further. Stihl is pretty well balanced out that I felt. Still havnt made a decision yet.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo22 View Post
When looking at pole saws, what's the most important thing to look for - aside from doing the job...?

Sounds like you guys are really into Echo for the durable shaft.

What about extended pole size? Weight? Telescopic pole? Shoulder strap?

What's the "perfect pole saw"?
I was in the same dilemma a few years back. Though I don't climb much anymore I'm a licensed arborist (well used to be) and spend most of the winter logging pulp- and firewood. I can usually tell a good saw from a bad one but 'm no expert on pole pruners. Anyway here's what I can remember:

Engine: I suppose a pole saw or any chainsaw for that matter works better with a 2-stroke. They are just more powerful, easier to control and have a more snappy response which you need when pruning.

Tubes: If I recall correctly, Echo has a 3-piece drive (cable + splined shaft + hollow shaft) whilst Stihl's is 4-piece (normal shaft + hollow + splined shaft + hollow) and supposedly superior. Both units were easy to adjust, there's a knob you undo and pull the shaft in/out.

Handle: Stihl has a normal trimmer grip whilst Echo is equipped with a bow supposedly designed for pruning. Personally I think the Echo handle looks goofy and I probably wouldn't have liked it, it also doesn't work upside down.

Gear-case: I couldn't really tell but both casings looked decent. I liked Echo's a tad better because it had two bar studs. Mind you a single nut is OK to hold 12" bars but I like two nuts much better. Echo also had a beefier bumper and a hook-like backside so you could pull small twigs down. Neither pruner had real chainsaw bumper spikes but both provided enough ground clearance to prevent the chain scraping the ground when starting.

Oil tank: Both oil tanks were small but Echo's was better. It's a single piece tank vs. a split design so should seal better. It had a normal filler cap vs. the flippy gadget from Stihl. If anyone thinks Stihl's flip-up gas caps are junk, I can attest that they are even greater junk when used as bar oil caps. It makes a huge mess when refilling. Also, the Echo tank vents to clean air, whilst Stihl vents to the chain area. It's probably only a matter of time before the vent valve plugs up with sawdust.

Oil pump: Echo comes with an adjustable pump so you can set it low for trimming or on high flow when cutting thick branches. Stihl's pump is fixed flow, not a big drawback but can be annoying at times. It also has a fixed oil pickup tube/strainer, meaning if you turn the pruner upside-down it won't oil. Echo has a weighed filter on a flexible line, just like a real saw and will oil in any position. Unfortunately, the goofy handle prevents you from using it upside-down, which would be nice when doing an undercut as the chain would be pulling like normal and not pushing the head back.

Chain adjuster: Both units had adjustment screws on the side (where they should be) but whilst Stihl had a normal case mounted mechanism (sturdy) the one on the Echo was housed in the bar cover. This is a very unusual setup and I don't like it that much. Removal of the Echo bar cover also required an additional screw to be taken out which is likely to get lost.

Anyway that's all I can remember since I demoed the pruners some years ago. The units were Stihl HT101 and Echo PTT260. I also demoed a Shindaiwa multi-tool with pole pruner attachment which was not up to merit of the other two. Stihl may be No. 1 in chainsaws but Echo wins this one hands down.

I bough neither of them since I got a manual pruner from American Arbor. It has a really sharp blade and two wooden extension poles. It's longer, lighter and in the end probably just as fast as them motorized units when doing light stuff.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601