Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I did this exact thing about half way through my cutting season. I found it had much more discharge velocity while helping the deck clean itself in a way. I loved them while cutting heavy wet grass. Produced a very acceptable one pass quality of cut for my conditions. I went with the extra high lifts from the 66" vx4. Of course the downside was higher fuel consumption compared to stock blades, but the most I clocked was in the 1.6 gph range. I have the fx850.

While I'm posting, puppy what does the underside of your deck look like? Do you have the triangle baffle that bolts in on the left side of the deck, or do you have the two L shaped air control baffles that bolt to the front lip of the deck?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info, that is what I suspected. The old mower just needs to be massaged correctly. When I get done doing a make over I will post the info.

A 33 Gennie with the front baffel out removed and the new blades should make a nice mower. The old machine has a lot of potential but you need to fix the stupid stuff Hustler refused to.

It is a shame because I still think on paper it was one of the finest ever designed Z's.

If they would have fixed the deck, drive, and a few other details I would take that style unit over the new one.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-26-2013, 05:28 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I did this exact thing about half way through my cutting season. I found it had much more discharge velocity while helping the deck clean itself in a way. I loved them while cutting heavy wet grass. Produced a very acceptable one pass quality of cut for my conditions. I went with the extra high lifts from the 66" vx4. Of course the downside was higher fuel consumption compared to stock blades, but the most I clocked was in the 1.6 gph range. I have the fx850.

While I'm posting, puppy what does the underside of your deck look like? Do you have the triangle baffle that bolts in on the left side of the deck, or do you have the two L shaped air control baffles that bolt to the front lip of the deck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bolt in triangle on left side.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Bolt in triangle on left side.
I've been considering different things that might help my cut quality. What type of grass do you mainly cut? Reason I ask is the pictures you posted demonstrate a QOC that is far superior to what mine produces. I cut everything from tall fescue to zoysia to Bermuda with all weeds in between. In would say that zoysia is the closest thing I have to what you have pictured. Based soley on blade thickness and density.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I've been considering different things that might help my cut quality. What type of grass do you mainly cut? Reason I ask is the pictures you posted demonstrate a QOC that is far superior to what mine produces. I cut everything from tall fescue to zoysia to Bermuda with all weeds in between. In would say that zoysia is the closest thing I have to what you have pictured. Based soley on blade thickness and density.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a mixture of grass that started out as Kentucky 31 fescue and Kentucky bluegrass about 31 years ago, but has been infiltrated with crabgrass moreso than anything else. I have too much cutting to worry about perfectly manicured purebred grasses.

The cut looks good for the fact the deck is doing a good job, but what is also helping the deck is the fact the grasses have slowed due to shorter days, and the conditions are dry enough to be ideal for cutting. I am taking a normal amount of grass off as if on a 5 day schedule, but at 7 days now because of the slower growth. The grass is dry, and taking less off in one pass makes for a better discharge, which in return keeps the clippings from being so aggravating. I have large areas of pure wild Bermuda and the deck does an excellent job cutting this type grass.

I think I'm running the same deck as you, a 2006, 66"/XR-7, and running the same standard fusion blades that came on the deck new. There is nothing special, I am at this time running 10 lbs. of air in the rear tires, and 8 lbs. in the front, with the deck perfectly level from side to side, and the deck pitched by blade height 1/4". This mower has always done a very good job in every aspect.

What exact mower do you have, and how is it set up?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 PM
sdk1968's Avatar
sdk1968 sdk1968 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 84
holy cow!! Puppy!! you guys even plant K31 down there? :-0

ive put that stuff out here in my yard by the hundreds of pounds every year..... this past year i went to something from the local Southern States that they "guaranteed to grow" it actually took off pretty good in mixing in with the 31 stuff.

but mainly i mow splotchs of grass with dirtclods and rocks mixed in. LMAO
__________________
say what you mean & mean what you say

Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is a mixture of grass that started out as Kentucky 31 fescue and Kentucky bluegrass about 31 years ago, but has been infiltrated with crabgrass moreso than anything else. I have too much cutting to worry about perfectly manicured purebred grasses.

The cut looks good for the fact the deck is doing a good job, but what is also helping the deck is the fact the grasses have slowed due to shorter days, and the conditions are dry enough to be ideal for cutting. I am taking a normal amount of grass off as if on a 5 day schedule, but at 7 days now because of the slower growth. The grass is dry, and taking less off in one pass makes for a better discharge, which in return keeps the clippings from being so aggravating. I have large areas of pure wild Bermuda and the deck does an excellent job cutting this type grass.

I think I'm running the same deck as you, a 2006, 66"/XR-7, and running the same standard fusion blades that came on the deck new. There is nothing special, I am at this time running 10 lbs. of air in the rear tires, and 8 lbs. in the front, with the deck perfectly level from side to side, and the deck pitched by blade height 1/4". This mower has always done a very good job in every aspect.

What exact mower do you have, and how is it set up?
I have a 2010 66". The deck I have isn't like you describe, I have two L shaped baffles that bolt to the inside lip on the front of the deck. They essentially make three seperate cutting chambers and resemble the scag setup for the most part. I really can't describe them better than that. I had considered buying the triangle piece that you speak of and giving it a try. Does your xr7 suffer from the "carpeting" that many people including myself have to deal with? I'm thinking that triangle piece might help decrease the size of the clippings before they exit the deck.

As far as how the deck is set up, I run 20 psi in the rears and 15 in the fronts with the deck completely level front to back and side to side. This is the best way I have found to set my deck up as it doesn't cut cleanly for me any other way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
One thing I will tell you, on my XR7 I noticed when I put the newer bigger clutch on it it speeded the blades up some and really made the grass exiting the deck come out finer in size.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I have a 2010 66". The deck I have isn't like you describe, I have two L shaped baffles that bolt to the inside lip on the front of the deck. They essentially make three seperate cutting chambers and resemble the scag setup for the most part. I really can't describe them better than that. I had considered buying the triangle piece that you speak of and giving it a try. Does your xr7 suffer from the "carpeting" that many people including myself have to deal with? I'm thinking that triangle piece might help decrease the size of the clippings before they exit the deck.

As far as how the deck is set up, I run 20 psi in the rears and 15 in the fronts with the deck completely level front to back and side to side. This is the best way I have found to set my deck up as it doesn't cut cleanly for me any other way.
Posted via Mobile Device
The clipping size has always been longer coming from Hustler decks, the more you take off in one pass, the more aggravating the clippings can be. The reason my cut looks better than those speaking of the carpeting is because I cut on a close schedule removing a smaller amount of grass in one pass, which in return shortens the clippings length making them disappear from eyesight somewhat easier.

We had excessive rainfall (broke a 75 yr. record) in June and July which made all cutting the most difficult I personally had ever experienced, but from the middle of August up until this point, we've had very little rain. The dryer conditions and slowing of growth due to shorter days have contributed to excellent cutting conditions at this time.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.07035 seconds with 10 queries