Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
Yeah, that's kind of my way of thinking too. However, that's why I asked the question to begin with. Some have brought up the point that trucks with GVWR over 10,000 lbs. can run into the DOT regulations. I'll have to look into that. The last thing I want to do is play the DOT game again, had enough of that when I drove truck for a few years.

Thanks, NYH1.
Yea there is always that.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I looked into the 10,000 lbs. GVWR thing. Technically at least here in New Yorkistan if you're using it for business purposes, any truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. or any truck and trailer combination with a GCWR over 10,000 lbs. we have to put DOT numbers and our business name on our trucks.

The way I read it, the GCWR's are calculated by adding the two (truck and trailer) GVWR's together, not the actual weights that you're carrying/hauling in them at the time. So if I use my current 1/2 ton truck for work with it's 6,700 lbs. GVWR and my trailer with it's 7,000 lbs. GVWR, together they make 13,700 lbs. GCWR. Which would put me 300 lbs. under my max GCWR of 14,000 lbs. for my truck. However, I'd be over the 10,000 lbs. GCWR so I'd have to put DOT numbers and my business name on it. And probably have to stop at all the DOT truck stops and weigh stations. Now I'll have to see if I'll need different insurance altogether because of this. This should be fun.

NYH1.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hemi millage in a 2500 is awful which is why you just about never see any. The new 6.4 Hemi is still a gas engine in a heavy truck so expect about the same. I'm assuming your talking about a 3500 single and not a dually. A Hemi in a dually is a really bad combo which is why it is extremely rare to see one.

Ram guys tend to go with the Diesel choice more then the Ford (2nd) or GM (3rd) guys. Because of this the resale value of spark plug powered HD Rams is really bad. You can kiss goodbye $10K the second you roll off the dealer lot.

If you want to stick with gas I would ponder another 1/2 ton. Get lower gears and airbags. It will be cheaper per mile to operate and the resale will not be $10K down the drain.

I run a Ram 2500 (5.9) & 3500 (6.7) myself. The 2500 just pulls a 16' enclosed trailer all the time. It uses close to half the fuel the Hemi would use and pulls with the kind of authority and ease a gasser just can't match. If possible I would find a way to test drive a gasser HD with a load to see what you would be getting yourself into.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a937539 View Post
Is this going to be a single axle or dual?
Pretty sure all trucks are dual axle.........at minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Most of the new 3500 trucks are at 10200 and 2500 around 9200. Where Im at anything over 10k and used in commerce needs to have company name and DOT#. I don't think it's costs anything to get a DOT # but just another thing to do and consider, it also puts you in the game if there is a good presence of DOT enforcement in your area. This is just starting to be enforced in my area. Many LCO with 1 ton dumps and trailers getting pulled over and being told to be in compliance with mostly warnings so far. Most including myself were unaware a basic 1 ton doing local work in state not involving hazmat needed to go through all that nonsense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
I looked into the 10,000 lbs. GVWR thing. Technically at least here in New Yorkistan if you're using it for business purposes, any truck with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. or any truck and trailer combination with a GCWR over 10,000 lbs. we have to put DOT numbers and our business name on our trucks.

The way I read it, the GCWR's are calculated by adding the two (truck and trailer) GVWR's together, not the actual weights that you're carrying/hauling in them at the time. So if I use my current 1/2 ton truck for work with it's 6,700 lbs. GVWR and my trailer with it's 7,000 lbs. GVWR, together they make 13,700 lbs. GCWR. Which would put me 300 lbs. under my max GCWR of 14,000 lbs. for my truck. However, I'd be over the 10,000 lbs. GCWR so I'd have to put DOT numbers and my business name on it. And probably have to stop at all the DOT truck stops and weigh stations. Now I'll have to see if I'll need different insurance altogether because of this. This should be fun.

NYH1.
Good to see you figured it out before more faulty info was figured. I didn't know the size of you trailer but was going to tell you that it wouldn't matter between the 3/4 and 1 ton as soon as you hooked a trailer to it.

Go with the 1 ton and be done with it.

And if you run across a single axle 1 ton, please take a pic, I would love to see it.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

One Ton Pictures

Here are pictures of one ton singles from the big three. A 3500 single is still a one ton it's just not a dually. It sounds like you were thinking the one ton label is only for the dually but that is not the case.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now I realize the single axle comment was a bit of dry humor when the guy should have said single rear tires. Kind of. Truck guys do use the term "single rear axle" for 3500 singles so it's not incorrect he just altered the term a tad.

Last edited by PlantscapeSolutions; 09-27-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Now I realize the single axle comment was a bit of dry humor when the guy should have said single rear tires. Kind of. Truck guys do use the term "single rear axle" for 3500 singles so it's not incorrect he just altered the term a tad.
Maybe, but I've never heard it before.

SRW--single rear wheels
DRW--dual rear wheels

Unless someone is looking into making a T-Rex.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...&bih=918&dpr=1

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Maybe, but I've never heard it before.

SRW--single rear wheels
DRW--dual rear wheels

Unless someone is looking into making a T-Rex.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...&bih=918&dpr=1
It's almost a bit of an oxymoron. Come visit the nations number one truck state and you'll hear the term.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hemi millage in a 2500 is awful which is why you just about never see any.
That may be true in your area. However, in my part of the country, where snow plowing is a big part of everyday life from November through the end of March. People that do landscaping & snow plowing, own gas stations, restaurants, mom & pop corner stores, motels and other businesses that have their own trucks and do their own plowing have gas 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks. Ram 2500 Hemi 4x4, GMC/Chevy 2500 6.0L 4x4 and Ford F250 5.4L/6.2L are by far the most popular HD type trucks around. A lot more popular then 3/4 ton diesel or 1 ton configurations. Remember, snow plowing around town is huge here for 4 to 5 months for most guys like me. Not so much long runs of towing like in other places. I'll be towing 4,000 to 6,000 lbs.

Quote:
The new 6.4 Hemi is still a gas engine in a heavy truck so expect about the same. I'm assuming your talking about a 3500 single and not a dually. A Hemi in a dually is a really bad combo which is why it is extremely rare to see one.
I have no need for a DRW truck or a truck with a diesel engine. Not to mention I can't afford the added cost of the diesel upgrade and the prolong smell of diesel triggers migraines for me. I had a really hard time the year and a half that I drove truck.

I'm not sure what to think of the new 6.4L Hemi. I've towed 7,500 lbs. in my current 1/2 ton Ram (3.92 gears) and had more then enough power. I don't know if the new 6.4L is worth the $1500 they want for it or not. I'll have to think about it.

2008 was the last year they put the Hemi in 1 ton SRW or DRW (except for some chassis cab models). That was also the last year for the gas engine/manual trans. combo as well. Until 2013 when they put the Hemi back in the SRW 1 ton's. For 2014 you can get the either 5.7L or the new 6.4L Hemi in SRW 1 ton's. If you want a gas engine in a DRW 1 ton, you can only get the new new 6.4L Hemi. Still no gas engine/manual trans combo.

Quote:
If you want to stick with gas I would ponder another 1/2 ton. Get lower gears and airbags. It will be cheaper per mile to operate and the resale will not be $10K down the drain.
I already have a 1/2 ton that has everything I want in a 1/2 ton truck with the exception of the plow package. I can tow 8,500 lbs., payloads only about 1,400 lbs. The only 1/2 ton trucks that come with a plow package which I have to have so I don't void any of the warranty, are the regular cab short or long box GMC and Chevy trucks. Getting rid of my current quad cab 1/2 ton Ram which only has 46k miles on it (I'm the original owner) for a regular cab 1/2 ton truck with a 5.3L and 3.42 gears for plowing, just isn't going to happen. There isn't a 1/2 ton truck out there that I'd get rid of mine for.

Thanks for thereply, NYH1.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

If I do find a single axle truck, would it be a "both wheel drive"?? Be a heck of a thing to balance.

Just kiddin. I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks, NYH1.