Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much, so are you saying spike the 3 way ester (and quinclorac if I want to try) with another 61% triclopyr?i don't understand but I want to learn. When you say spike what do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
If you are using a 3-way as a base mix that at the bottom at it recommended rate. I spike that mix right 61% Triclopyr at 12 oz's an acre. I only use Quinclorac as a post emergent crabgrass control. It works great on violets but unsure what it does to new seedlings. I would experiment on a small area first and in your area spray the last available week you can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

The triclopyr looks to be 5% of the ester 2 mix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
Thanks so much, so are you saying spike the 3 way ester (and quinclorac if I want to try) with another 61% triclopyr?i don't understand but I want to learn. When you say spike what do you mean?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO redzone is junk. I had to spray twice to get decent kill. It seems to knock weeds down fairly quick but doesn't kill them. Even when mixing hot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my recent herbicide test applied September 23rd, 2013. On clover, oxalis and dandelion: Speedzone was best, but Gordons T-Zone and Surge were almost as good. A three way was only fair.

However...nothing seemed to have any effect on wild violets. Even various combinations of the above products were not effective. Fall must be the wrong time of year. Spring is better.

I made combinations by spraying the first product then applying the second on top of the first. Mixing them together in the same sprayer would be about the same.
When I mix two products together for tough weeds--I mix both at the label rate per thousand sqft. It is essentially then double strength. Remember there is a limit on 2,4-D-- I think it is no more than 2 lbs per acre per year. Don't exceed the 2,4-D limit and keep it low so you can apply 2,4-D at another time during the year.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks riggle,

A local guy who knows his stuff told me last year he only has luck in fall with ester so that's interesting. I am gonna test next week, a small area of the violets with 1oz:1000 3 way ester 2 and the quinclorac at full rate. I will try to remember pictures. These are mature violets. He asked yearly and has no problem paying what it takes but the precious service always said "yea they are hard to kill". I really want to get these. This properly is fully irrigated daily (customer insists) I always turn it off fr 2 days after treatment. I have to do some spot spraying on another property , some of it is irrigated and some is not. Ok to just use the backpack with the ester/ quinclorac mix?long as it's not above 80 when I spray?

Thanks again.

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
In my recent herbicide test applied September 23rd, 2013. On clover, oxalis and dandelion: Speedzone was best, but Gordons T-Zone and Surge were almost as good. A three way was only fair.

However...nothing seemed to have any effect on wild violets. Even various combinations of the above products were not effective. Fall must be the wrong time of year. Spring is better.

I made combinations by spraying the first product then applying the second on top of the first. Mixing them together in the same sprayer would be about the same.
When I mix two products together for tough weeds--I mix both at the label rate per thousand sqft. It is essentially then double strength. Remember there is a limit on 2,4-D-- I think it is no more than 2 lbs per acre per year. Don't exceed the 2,4-D limit and keep it low so you can apply 2,4-D at another time during the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion; it should be OK to spray the non-irrigated property with the mixture you suggest at label rates.

Here is a photo from a test using Quicksilver and various herbicides--but the test was conducted in late May. It probably was a more favorable time for treatment, a time of rapid growth. The full rate of Quicksilver was probably a help, too.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=405344
It is difficult to evaluate the long-term success, as Quicksilver is a contact-type herbicide, and as such it probably does not do much to the roots and rhizomes of the violets.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I use crossroad for wild violets. If they are mature I will hit them again after 7-10 days. It smokes them. And yes it is approved for residential lawns.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspeed130 View Post
Thanks riggle,

A local guy who knows his stuff told me last year he only has luck in fall with ester so that's interesting. I am gonna test next week, a small area of the violets with 1oz:1000 3 way ester 2 and the quinclorac at full rate. I will try to remember pictures. These are mature violets. He asked yearly and has no problem paying what it takes but the precious service always said "yea they are hard to kill". I really want to get these. This properly is fully irrigated daily (customer insists) I always turn it off fr 2 days after treatment. I have to do some spot spraying on another property , some of it is irrigated and some is not. Ok to just use the backpack with the ester/ quinclorac mix?long as it's not above 80 when I spray?

Thanks again.

Z

Posted via Mobile Device
Ester is the way to go! Don't use it on newly seed grass until mowing though. Quinclorac is can be used at any point during seeding by it's self, but it works best when mixed with a three way. You can get it mixed, it's call Q4