Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What not to do...

So I received a flyer in the mail today for a local LCO/Tree service company. Many of you know me, I'm actually a web developer geek, so first thing I do is go the website listed on it...

They sent out a flyer to who knows how many people with the WRONG url on it!! The domain listed has NEVER been registered (so not like it used to work, then expired), their domain is actual the same but with one word plural...

Smartass in me says "go register the domain" But there are ethical and legal issues there...

Anyhow, geek-slueth mode kicks in and I go searching, and find their actual URL. Then I noticed on their home page, they list their website address (Umm hello... I'M ALREADY THERE!), but even worse, they have the same incorrect URL that was on their flier..

Ahh they list they have facebook, so I decided to be nice and go drop them a message... Here more than one time they have listed that same wrong URL on their facebook wall.... Guess they didn't catch that facebook didn't do a preview, as it the domain didn't exist...

So I left them a note on facebook that they should quickly go register the other domain and point it to the live one.

Now here is something else that caught my attention... On the flyer, and on the pictures of their vehicles on their site they are listed as "MainName Inc." their domain is "FullCompanyNameLLC.com", and their e-mail is "MainNameIncLLC@gmail.com"

(didn't want to use their real name here, if the Full Company Name was Evergreen Experts, "MainName" above would be "Evergreen")

So anyhow... always have someone else double check what you publish, so easy to miss something that you look at every day. If you post links to something on your site or facebook, TEST them when you post them. Even worse is this was something they mailed out, most likely to several thousand people in the greater Columbus area. Facebook or a website you can fix the type... a flyer... nope.

Also, keep consistent on your naming of your company. I could have sworn when I formed my LLC I read something that you could not list it as an incorporated company (Inc), but I could be wrong on that one, but it still looks crazy (and to me, unprofessional) seeing it listed three different ways on a flyer, and all within a 6x2" area all next to each other.

Just my 2 cents worth!

-Greg

Last edited by greg8872; 09-28-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another tip, if you do post the wrong URL, and someone it nice enough to point it out to you on Facebook, where you have the wrong URL posted in a message, um. do something about it besides just deleting that person's message to let you know.

Temptation to register the domain name is growing more....
Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
Another tip, if you do post the wrong URL, and someone it nice enough to point it out to you on Facebook, where you have the wrong URL posted in a message, um. do something about it besides just deleting that person's message to let you know.

Temptation to register the domain name is growing more....
...and this is why the bar is set so low for online and social media success in this industry. Holy crap.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds just like a "company" i heard about that was trying to pitch people on yet another "pay to list" exact match domain directory site that they never actually registered the domain name for. they were looking to sign up LCOs, but were to cheap to register the domain name, before trying to prove their junk concept.

sadly, i'll never know what the look on his face was when he realized his one, little error. lol
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk about a mistake, can't believe he didn't check on it and thank you for bringing it to his attention.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
So I received a flyer in the mail today for a local LCO/Tree service company. Many of you know me, I'm actually a web developer geek, so first thing I do is go the website listed on it...

They sent out a flyer to who knows how many people with the WRONG url on it!! The domain listed has NEVER been registered (so not like it used to work, then expired), their domain is actual the same but with one word plural...
I hope they at least got their phone number right

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino