Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it in zoysia? If so you can spray it with revolver, just make sure to be sitting down when you see how much it costs

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If it is the same thing as what I got then it can't possibly be TTTF,,, becuz it won't survive here... Are you guys serious when you say this can make a lawn??? That is one ugly lawn grass...

I'm glad that it won't survive up here...
You're probably looking at an older variety such as Kentucky 31 or another roadside type, deemed noxious in many seed blends now. On their own turf type tall fescues can be very attractive, or as long as they make up say 75% of the seed mix in a lawn. Although turf type tall fescue struggled through the snow melt, freezing, and subsequent ice formations we saw in the midwest a couple years ago the NTEP data showed some promising results even through Wisconsin and Minnesota, check it out for yourself:
http://www.ntep.org/data/tf06/tf06_1...tf0612ft06.txt

Last edited by nmez21; 09-23-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally don't have any use for it so I won't use it even if it is bred for this far North(TTTF)...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
If it is the same thing as what I got then it can't possibly be TTTF,,, becuz it won't survive here... Are you guys serious when you say this can make a lawn??? That is one ugly lawn grass...

I'm glad that it won't survive up here...
There is a big difference between tall fescue which is basically a pasture grass and the newer varieties of Tall Turf Type Fescue.

Two Types of Full Sun Tall Fescue

Coarse Tall Fescue and Turf-type Tall Fescue
The first group is simply referred to as "coarse fescue" or "field-type tall fescue". These are primarily bred as pasture grass, but can be used in lawns.

The other is called "turf-type tall fescue" and is an improved variety deveoped to have the qualities needed to be a true lawn grass.

Field-Type Tall Fescue

Kentucky 31 tall fescue and Alta are examples of the older varieties. They were originally a forage grass, but were sometimes used as a turf grass. If you ever purchased Kentucky 31 tall fescue, you may have noticed that the bag is labeled "For fields and lawn use". These field types are a larger plant with blade widths 1/2 inch wide or more and reaching twenty-four inches high.

Turf-type Tall Fescue

Turf-type tall fescue has a much thinner blade width. They were developed specifically for lawns and are the type used by professional turf managers. There are dozens of varieties with many new varieties on the market from the last few years. Most will produce a dark green, beautiful lawn.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chlorsulfuron (TFC) is a selective postemergence herbicide that can be applied to control actively growing tall fescue that has invaded Kentucky bluegrass. Tall Fescue in KB lawns is a common problem around Minnesota. Telar XP made by Dupon works well
Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
There is a big difference between tall fescue which is basically a pasture grass and the newer varieties of Tall Turf Type Fescue.

Two Types of Full Sun Tall Fescue

Coarse Tall Fescue and Turf-type Tall Fescue
The first group is simply referred to as "coarse fescue" or "field-type tall fescue". These are primarily bred as pasture grass, but can be used in lawns.

The other is called "turf-type tall fescue" and is an improved variety deveoped to have the qualities needed to be a true lawn grass.

Field-Type Tall Fescue

Kentucky 31 tall fescue and Alta are examples of the older varieties. They were originally a forage grass, but were sometimes used as a turf grass. If you ever purchased Kentucky 31 tall fescue, you may have noticed that the bag is labeled "For fields and lawn use". These field types are a larger plant with blade widths 1/2 inch wide or more and reaching twenty-four inches high.

Turf-type Tall Fescue

Turf-type tall fescue has a much thinner blade width. They were developed specifically for lawns and are the type used by professional turf managers. There are dozens of varieties with many new varieties on the market from the last few years. Most will produce a dark green, beautiful lawn.
Like I said, tall fescue doesn't grow this far north and would never purchase a bag of K-31... Our big pasture and hay crop is Brome Grass...
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mngrassguy View Post
Chlorsulfuron (TFC) is a selective postemergence herbicide that can be applied to control actively growing tall fescue that has invaded Kentucky bluegrass. Tall Fescue in KB lawns is a common problem around Minnesota. Telar XP made by Dupon works well
I believe that NuFarm is the main registrant of chlorsulfuron and they're not making it anymore. Years ago it was called TFC, but now its called Corsair. Telar XP (same ai) is labeled only for unimproved industrial turf sites. It is illegal to use it in home lawns.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have grasses like that and may be Canary grass,,, but it is simple enough to brush it with Roundup, becuz it is so large by comparison and there are only a few clumps here and there...
Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Like I said, tall fescue doesn't grow this far north and would never purchase a bag of K-31... Our big pasture and hay crop is Brome Grass...
Well that pic says fescue does grow there, it may not make it long term but it's there. Saying a grass would not make a suitable lawn in an area is not to say that it is impossible for it to grow, at least for a season. It may only last as an annual there. It most likely got there as a weed in the seed, we have been seeing orchard grass in our fescue seed the past two years. They tell us that blue grass won't grow in our zone, but some people want it and they understand that it's going to be an annual for them, when the hot summer comes it's going to be gone.