Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Position Openings

Anyone have experience in placing Position Openings on their websites and online applications? Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You'll want to take a look at the Google search results for keywords that best suit what you're trying to accomplish, ie "landscaping jobs" and then try to rank your hiring page to fall in to those results.

It's no different than any other page ranking strategies for specific keywords, but you're probably going for even more specific, less-trafficed words in [landscaping jobs in city] in what will probably be a very crowded first page of results (indeed, simplyhired, thumbtack, craigslist, etc will probably be on it). All depends on how competitive, or large, your city is.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You'll want to take a look at the Google search results for keywords that best suit what you're trying to accomplish, ie "landscaping jobs" and then try to rank your hiring page to fall in to those results.

It's no different than any other page ranking strategies for specific keywords, but you're probably going for even more specific, less-trafficed words in [landscaping jobs in city] in what will probably be a very crowded first page of results (indeed, simplyhired, thumbtack, craigslist, etc will probably be on it). All depends on how competitive, or large, your city is.
Thanks for the reply Tony. I'm wanting to use our site to attract potential employees. Does anyone accept online applications? Does anyone place Position openings on their site?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Worker View Post
Thanks for the reply Tony. I'm wanting to use our site to attract potential employees. Does anyone accept online applications? Does anyone place Position openings on their site?
You're asking a yes/no question, which you reiterated, so I guess I'm not following you. Would you mind adding a bit more detail as to what you want know?

The "use our site to attract potential employees", via organic search, is covered in my reply, but there are 3 ways people will be attracted to your web site's employment openings:

1. organic search (see above)
2. Google Adwords campaign
3. Specifically directing people to your site, whether via their inbound calls, listing it in a newspaper ad, pasting it on trucks, whatever. Basically, you're treating it as an electronic brochure/app you personally direct them to.

Re: accepting online apps, you can use a web-based form they submit that dumps to a database or is sent to you via email. The other option is having a downloadable PDF that they fill out and email/fax/mail you.

If you don't get the replies you're looking for on here, but want to see a one-stop-shop of how numerous other companies do it, Google landscaping employment application.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Re: accepting online apps, you can use a web-based form they submit that dumps to a database or is sent to you via email. The other option is having a downloadable PDF that they fill out and email/fax/mail you.
Keep in mind that for a form submitted online, most likely you will NOT want to ask for SSN due to privacy and security issues. The average site will not be equipped to properly secure the transmission of the SSN. You do not want to open yourself up as a possible leak leading to identity theft.

-Greg
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for both replies. I'm wanting to be able to cast as wide a net as possible. I'm also looking for any pitfals to avoid; the privacy issue could be avoided by mailing them to us as you pointed out.
Posted via Mobile Device