Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2003, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organics 101 - How about a calendar?

I am still pretty new to this business and VERY new to organics. Maybe someone could post some sort of organics-program-calendar? I realize that somewhere in the (long) answers posted here that the information exsists, but here's what would make it REAL easy for someone like myself:

January - Trim X bushes and shrubs, Fertilize X plants

February - Time to spread X meal on X types of lawns

March - Etc etc etc.

If someone (Moderator?) could post something like this or advise of a source for something like it, I'd be grateful.

I am also finding the posts here very helpful, but not necessarily suited to the novice. (though I might just be thick-headed)

Thanks!

There is unrest in the Forest, there is trouble with the Trees
for the Maples want more sunlight and the Oaks ignore their pleas..
Old 09-17-2003, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll give you my San Antonio, TX calendar and then we can work on calendars for other zones. I'm only one guy, remember, so I'll tell you what I do on my small corner of the world. Our soil never freezes and we rarely get freezing weather. Most of the country will not be mowing in March and November, so the calendar should be compressed as the cold weather takes up more of the annual calendar.

January - apply beneficial nematodes to control ticks and thrips still in the soil. Water 1 inch per month for the benefit of the soil microbes.

February (Valentines Day for me) - prune roses and apply corn meal for fungus control and fertilizer. Apply corn GLUTEN meal for summer weed control. Water 1 inch for benefit of microbes.

March - mow as necessary (hardly necessary). Water 1 inch. Monitor roses and citrus for stink bugs, aphids, cucumber beetles, and also for beneficials. Get to know what ladybug larvae look like if you don't already know. Pick off bad guys and leave the good ones. Enjoy wild flowers (in other people's yards).

April - mow and water as necessary. Monitor roses and citrus for bugs and beneficials.

May - mow and water as necessary. Bugs are gone from roses and citrus by this time. Look for brown spots on grass leaves as signs of fungus. Apply corn meal in spots as needed.

June - mow and water as necessary. Look for brown spots on grass leaves as signs of fungus. Apply corn meal in spots as needed.

July - 4th of July apply corn meal or alfalfa fertilizer.

August - mow and water as necessary.

September - Labor day - apply corn meal or alfalfa fertilizer. Water and mow as necessary.

October - apply corn GLUTEN meal for winter and spring weeds. Water and mow as necessary. If you want wild flowers in the spring, skip the CGM in the autumn.

November - Water and mow as necessary.

December - water one inch per month for benefit of microbes. Harvest lemons.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

David,

Thanks a lot! I hope I never offended you when I said "long" answers. I enjoy your posts and have printed a few (of the long ones) so I can re-read as needed. I'm glad that you have knowlege of this particular area of the country - I'm sure I'll ask your opinion from time to time.

I have e-mailed Bob at Garden-Ville and they are a great source. I am trying to learn as much as possible so I can sell more services - preferably organic type.

There is unrest in the Forest, there is trouble with the Trees
for the Maples want more sunlight and the Oaks ignore their pleas..
Old 09-18-2003, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean Bob at Shades of Green? The problem with Bob and Malcolm is they would rather talk to you than write to you. I secretly think they are 2-fingered typists.

Did you go to Malcolm's insects discussion at the garden center last night (Tuesday)? That guy does know a ton about insects.

Sorry for the private conversation. Bob Webster owns Shades of Green, an all organic nursery in San Antonio. Bob also has an all organic radio show on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Malcolm Beck was an organic farmer back when only the hippies did it. He founded Garden-Ville in San Antonio and co-wrote The Texas Bug Book which is being expanded as we speak.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the few things I miss about Texas is Bob's show. I would go out in the garage early every Saturday morning just to listen to him.
Last year I attended a seminar on composting that was hosted by Malcom Beck. It was real informative.

Randy