Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I wonder how feasible it would be to mount this unit, and reuse the factory slider mechanism ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item414ef8a7ce
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
I wonder how feasible it would be to mount this unit, and reuse the factory slider mechanism ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item414ef8a7ce
There are a few guys on here who have bought those, but none have been able to make the seat slide work with it, and had to either remove the slide handle, turn it around the wrong way, or make modifications to the seat pan by cutting part of it away. The one Deere sells is the same unit, but it's made specifically for Deere's application. I can understand someone wanting to save money and have no problem with that, but I preferred to have everything be correct instead of only half way work. For only $70 more it is well worth it IMO.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about this one & it's says it will fit JD?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item27d8675bdc
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
What about this one & it's says it will fit JD?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-SUSPENS...item27d8675bdc
If I'm not mistaken, that one is for the older JD 700's like the 757, 777 etc. If so, it won't fit the newer 900's without a bit- to a lot of modification.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There are a few guys on here who have bought those, but none have been able to make the seat slide work with it, and had to either remove the slide handle, turn it around the wrong way, or make modifications to the seat pan by cutting part of it away. The one Deere sells is the same unit, but it's made specifically for Deere's application. I can understand someone wanting to save money and have no problem with that, but I preferred to have everything be correct instead of only half way work. For only $70 more it is well worth it IMO.

Gotchya' ... that is exactly why I'm trying to do my homework now, rather than trying to rig something later that I'll never be happy with.

thanks ... ... ...
Old 09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
Gotchya' ... that is exactly why I'm trying to do my homework now, rather than trying to rig something later that I'll never be happy with.

thanks ... ... ...
There's a member here named Weeze (now, but used to be Jason's Lawn Care1) that bought one of the e-bay insert kits for his Z920. He got it to fit OK, but has no adjustment to his seat. If you are the only one to ever run the machine that won't pose much of a problem. Just set it where you like it and forget it, like he did. He had to turn the slide handle around to make it work as well. Look up his picture album and you can probably find the thread and pics.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that one is for the older JD 700's like the 757, 777 etc. If so, it won't fit the newer 900's without a bit- to a lot of modification.
It will fit the 900 series, I bought one for my 820A. It was ok, not great but it let me cut faster on rough ground than I could without it.
With that said.........

It's nowhere near as good as the factory suspension seat that I bought for the 930M and yes it does not have as much "padding" as the standard seat but the extra padding is not needed. This operates more like an air ride seat, it never bottoms out like the one from ebay.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawsonLC View Post
It will fit the 900 series, I bought one for my 820A. It was ok, not great but it let me cut faster on rough ground than I could without it.
With that said.........

It's nowhere near as good as the factory suspension seat that I bought for the 930M and yes it does not have as much "padding" as the standard seat but the extra padding is not needed. This operates more like an air ride seat, it never bottoms out like the one from ebay.
There are several models on e-bay, that's why there's different prices. Some fit the 800's with a bit of work, some don't. That one I said didn't, I was informed was for the older 700 series and will not fit the 900's. I've been on both the new JD sus seat, and the insert like I have. I'll take mine any day, thanks. Mine doesn't bottom out unless a hit a really harsh bump either. It just needs to be adjusted correctly. The new sus seat will bottom out on the same bump.

Just wanted to add:
Not only does the new JD sus seat cost a ton more than the insert if you want to add it on to an existing machine, it won't fit the 2012 and older machines without a bunch of work. That was the first thing I checked into when they were announced.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 09-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You know I was thinking about it & I think unless you order the iso kit as an add on it doesn't come on the B series.. If you put that & a suspension insert that would make a huge difference. I just this summer put the ISO kit on my Lazer & it's really nice.. Thinking about that Grammer seat next..
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I just talked to the dealer about this part ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Suspens...item255ba8a75c

He said it is a direct bolt-in retrofit for the Z920R ... his instructions were basically ... remove existing seat assembly ... unbolt sliders from seat ... bolt sliders to seat deck ... mount suspension unit on top of sliders ... mount seat on top of suspension unit.

I told him I had a reasonably well equipped shop and wasn't afraid of a little fabrication, if necessary, but I wanted to know in advance just what was going to be required. He said there was absolutely no need for any drilling/cutting/welding/tapping/trimming ... it is a straightforward bolt in.

Any input and/or criticisms of this unit ??? He said one reason this unit is cheaper than the factory J.D. part is simply due to the fact that you do retain the original slider mechanism instead of replacing it.