Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 AM
gulfjoe's Avatar
gulfjoe gulfjoe is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 998
I would compromise with the customer and take it down .5" per mowing and let him see the difference or take the mower into the BACK yard and let him see the difference between 1.5" and 3" and maybe he will come to his senses. If he still wants it at 1.5" then make your own judgement call if you want to work with that guy. I am nowhere near the professional as some of you guys but a lot of my customers came to me because of drive by's and next door neighbors and if they saw me take a lawn from green to brown I am sure they wouldn't be asking me to mow for them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-29-2013, 12:46 PM
BlazersandWildcats2009's Avatar
BlazersandWildcats2009 BlazersandWildcats2009 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I don't understand why the customer cant get what he wants. If he wants it 1.5, cut away. If he wants a filet cooked so well done he can sole his shoe with it, a cook wouldn't deny him, so why would you.
That was my whole point. But I guess I'm obviously excluded from the answer and wrong, because I don't cut lawns for a living.

While I won't go off to discuss family background, I must enlighten I'm far from a landscaper, but before you go off on the bandwagon, I'll tell you chances are, if you shop in America, chances are, you shop at one of my relatives stores. If you attend a business conferences across America, chances are, you've heard my mother give a presentation in front of you. Again, if you CONSUME goods in North America, chances are, your consuming from a close relative of mine. While I might be far from a landscaper, I know at least a little code of ethics when it comes to business.

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.


It's just plain and simple, the original poster asked for it himself. You came on a public forum, asking if you should just walk off a job, because a customer asked you to do something. This goes far beyond landscaping or mowing. The customer is always right. Even if you think the customer is wrong, the customer is always right. The customer always wins. And a business owner who asks on a public forum if he should "walk off" a job from someone who feeds his kids, because the customer asked him for something different, shouldn't be running a business, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,438
How do you feed your family if you just mowed that weekly check into a half dead mess. Do you think you will be called back to repeat the process? Its hard getting people to call beck every week when the grass is growing. You may know A business or about business, but you don't know THIS business. You can't compare it to retail sales. This is a skilled service industry. Just like you don't hire a carpenter or plumber and then them how to build your house or fix your toilet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
How do you feed your family if you just mowed that weekly check into a half dead mess. Do you think you will be called back to repeat the process? Its hard getting people to call beck every week when the grass is growing. You may know A business or about business, but you don't know THIS business. You can't compare it to retail sales. This is a skilled service industry. Just like you don't hire a carpenter or plumber and then them how to build your house or fix your toilet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Totally agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
How do you feed your family if you just mowed that weekly check into a half dead mess. Do you think you will be called back to repeat the process? Its hard getting people to call beck every week when the grass is growing. You may know A business or about business, but you don't know THIS business. You can't compare it to retail sales. This is a skilled service industry. Just like you don't hire a carpenter or plumber and then them how to build your house or fix your toilet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I bet he does, and the customer is not always right. Many times weather it be designing, installing or maintaining landscapes for my customers over the years I would never recommend anything to be planted or maintained that would leave the customer angry or upset after work was completed. I have the same opinion about the Two products that I sell and advertise on this site. If the customer is wrong I have an obligation to provide the correct answer or solution for my customers needs. I can only speak for myself and my business experience.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Groomer's Avatar
Groomer Groomer is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: south west ohio institute of lawn grooming
Posts: 1,296
Zoysia was used around here years ago.
We even had a zoysia sod farm close-by.
Last to green in the spring and first to go dormant come fall.
Somewhat invasive as I remember.
don't see it much anymore, with all the beautiful new fescue varieties available.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:27 PM
BlazersandWildcats2009's Avatar
BlazersandWildcats2009 BlazersandWildcats2009 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
How do you feed your family if you just mowed that weekly check into a half dead mess. Do you think you will be called back to repeat the process? Its hard getting people to call beck every week when the grass is growing. You may know A business or about business, but you don't know THIS business. You can't compare it to retail sales. This is a skilled service industry. Just like you don't hire a carpenter or plumber and then them how to build your house or fix your toilet.
Posted via Mobile Device

This all goes back to my first post. The poster DID NOT MENTION what type of grass he's cutting. Being such an expert in grass, you KNOW there are many types of grass out there, some that like to be cut at three inches, some that like to be cut at 1". I don't care how EXPERIENCED you claim you are, but if you tell me you can give this guy a correct cutting height without knowing THIS DETAIL, the amount of shade, and various other details, than I suggest you stick to cutting grass rather than "giving advice." You cannot leave out such an important detail and then expect valid answers. And the person that tries to give "valid" answers without knowing the "details", than I would say the person giving advice is just as clueless as the person asking the question due to the fact he's trying to offer a cutting height to a grass that is unknown. Do you know if he has Zoysia, Fescue, tall Fescue, or even Perennial Ryegrass? YOU DON'T. Do you know if his grass is growing in full shade or full sun? YOU DON'T. Are you going to assume he has a particular grass, because of his GEOGRAPHIC REGION? Because if so, please let me know and I'll show you numerous links to landscapes in the New York, many golf courses, that indeed have their grass cut at much shorter than 3". But without knowing, I'll be reasonable enough to tell you, I can't tell you a mowing height without knowing the type of grass.

From a business perspective, let's look at someone who chooses to "Walk off" all of the jobs because their customers ask them a question, in which they may not even know better, hence the reason their asking you. Now look at someone who offers a solution, alternative, or helpful advice to their customers. Who's going to have more customers in the end after the first guy walked off all his jobs because a customer "asked" him to cut it at 1".?

I've been through this forum from every page dated back to 2004. I've seen a lot of people that know their soils, grasses, and many other landscaping tricks and trades. But what I have seen is many that don't know how to run a business correctly. I guess that explains why 3/4 of the population in landscaping here, don't have a degree or Masters in Business.

Back to square one, I'm not disagreeing with the original poster saying that cutting this lawn at 1" wouldn't scalp the lawn. I'm saying YOU are in no position to tell him what height to cut the lawn at without knowing specific details.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:30 PM
BlazersandWildcats2009's Avatar
BlazersandWildcats2009 BlazersandWildcats2009 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Totally agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
You agree that cutting a lawn down to 1" will "scalp" the lawn without knowing any details on what type of grass is being cut?

Are the golf courses in the "north" scalped or dead? Are the landscapers that cut the golf courses out of business?

I totally agree that your, WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
You agree that cutting a lawn down to 1" will "scalp" the lawn without knowing any details on what type of grass is being cut?

Are the golf courses in the "north" scalped or dead? Are the landscapers that cut the golf courses out of business?

I totally agree that your, WRONG.
Got it...you are the expert here...i will no longer post anything without your approval from now on...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
BlazersandWildcats2009's Avatar
BlazersandWildcats2009 BlazersandWildcats2009 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
How do you feed your family if you just mowed that weekly check into a half dead mess. Do you think you will be called back to repeat the process? Its hard getting people to call beck every week when the grass is growing. You may know A business or about business, but you don't know THIS business. You can't compare it to retail sales. This is a skilled service industry. Just like you don't hire a carpenter or plumber and then them how to build your house or fix your toilet.
Posted via Mobile Device
SOME FACTS ABOUT MOWING
Kentucky Bluegrass/Ryegrass/Fescue
A.J. Powell, Jr.
Turfgrass Extension Specialist
University of Kentucky

As the mowing height is lowered, increase
the mowing frequency. For example, if you mow
in the spring at a 2½ inch height, you can usually
get by with a frequency of one mowing per week;
if you mow at 1½ inch height you will often
need to mow every 4 to 5 days
; if you mow at 1
inch, mow 3 times/week.


According to Turf Grass Specialist, mowing at 1 1/2" as the poster stated in his original post, you will have to mow more frequently rather than less frequently at a higher cut height.

Who's going to be cutting more? Who's going to have a higher net? Who's going to have more business in the end?

Your statement would have been "valid" and "correct" if you told the poster not to cut more than a 1/3rd of the blade off at one time. But assuming that healthy grass being cut at 1 1/2" as he stated is hacked, is completely "incorrect" and "invalid."

Maybe you need to quit cutting grass daily and educate yourself in reality. Anyone can cut grass, but understanding how grass grows and soil structure works is a completely different ballgame.

Last edited by BlazersandWildcats2009; 10-01-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.07886 seconds with 10 queries