Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
You can call and talk to people who rebuild them and they will tell you THE BEST SEPERATES ARE CLEARLY BETTER. even the new Super Z does not use the best seperates from what I have been lead to believe.

I was told all the ZTR's use lower grad systems and were not worth rebuilding but the rebuilder said that was not a problem because you can usually find the components to fix your system at a good price.

He called the ZTR grade components disposable junk but said they are cheap so they are good.
I highly doubt the ZTR industry uses so called junk in this billion dollar industry. From the 1000s of hours put on these systems the hydros are the most reliable parts on the machine. Ask the techs what percentage of repairs they make are hydro related.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I highly doubt the ZTR industry uses so called junk in this billion dollar industry. From the 1000s of hours put on these systems the hydros are the most reliable parts on the machine. Ask the techs what percentage of repairs they make are hydro related.
Posted via Mobile Device
From a rebuilder who rebuilds systems all day he called it disposable junk. It works for me but I have heard that from a few hydraulic sources not just one.

They actually say the quality on alot of this stuff is going down, cheaper metals and so forth.

Most of the systems they rebuild have hydraulics that cost way and I mean way more than ZTR's. When you have a hydraulic system where the parts cost 10's of thousands then it makes much more sense to rebuild at 60% cost of new. He was just making the point that the ZTR stuff was not worth their time and said a Hustler HD in minimum they would bother with.

It has real pumps and a hot shuttle.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
From a rebuilder who rebuilds systems all day he called it disposable junk. It works for me but I have heard that from a few hydraulic sources not just one.

They actually say the quality on alot of this stuff is going down, cheaper metals and so forth.

Most of the systems they rebuild have hydraulics that cost way and I mean way more than ZTR's. When you have a hydraulic system where the parts cost 10's of thousands then it makes much more sense to rebuild at 60% cost of new. He was just making the point that the ZTR stuff was not worth their time and said a Hustler HD in minimum they would bother with.

It has real pumps and a hot shuttle.
The people who built the space shuttle would probably say the guy who told you that worked on junk, just like guys who work on commercial Z's would probably say home owner grade Z's have junk hydro's in them. It's just a matter of perspective (and ego). There's nothing low grade or throw away about today's commercial grade transmissions.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure they could put higher quality parts in if they wanted, but then that would drive the price even higher. My big gripe with many mechanical items these days is their lack of rebuildability and parts availability. Before pumps were made with sleeveable cylinders and were designed to come apart for service. Now they want you to replace the whole unit period. Air compressors, pressure washers, hand tools, everything is built to be disposable after a seemingly very short time. I love my dads old tools that I can still pull apart and fix. Even simple things like drills, ratchets and spray guns. Luckily he has drawers and boxes of spare parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That was the point he made, they were meant to be disposable so he calls then junk.