Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking at getting a new Toro grandstand

Hi
I'm looking at getting a new Toro grandstand 36 or 40". I've been reading the posts I can find here and of course a lot are contradictory. I've had a Wright Stander 32" since 2005. I got it because I needed to get through some 36" gates at the time. It's starting to cost money and time on repairs now and I'm looking to get something new that will last me till I retire. I'm 62 and figure another 4 or 5 years unless I win a lottery. The dealer I have handles Toro and Stander. I want a stander type and I need to get through 48" gates on some properties. I want a rapid height adjustment and it's going to be one or the other, 36 or 40" Toro. On my stander I wound up changing the tires to 16x8.5x8 from the 16x6.5x8 because it rutted so much, it's still not great. My thoughts are the 40" has slightly wider tires than the 36 which would help the alleviate the rutting somewhat but is it much better than the 36". Some comments say the 40" deck with three 14" blades doesn't cut as well as the 36 with two 18" blades. Looking for thoughts on this from people that have either unit on the cutting qualities and rutting. My Stander is quite a bit lighter , a little over 600lbs. The Toro's are much heavier, although even that is hard to pin down 756 and 773 in the manual and 779 and 790 respectively on the website. Looking for thoughts on these two units. My dealer doesn't handle Scag, Exmark, etc. etc. so just looking for comments on these two units. I'm in the north with cool season grasses.
Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC51 View Post
Hi
I'm looking at getting a new Toro grandstand 36 or 40". I've been reading the posts I can find here and of course a lot are contradictory. I've had a Wright Stander 32" since 2005. I got it because I needed to get through some 36" gates at the time. It's starting to cost money and time on repairs now and I'm looking to get something new that will last me till I retire. I'm 62 and figure another 4 or 5 years unless I win a lottery. The dealer I have handles Toro and Stander. I want a stander type and I need to get through 48" gates on some properties. I want a rapid height adjustment and it's going to be one or the other, 36 or 40" Toro. On my stander I wound up changing the tires to 16x8.5x8 from the 16x6.5x8 because it rutted so much, it's still not great. My thoughts are the 40" has slightly wider tires than the 36 which would help the alleviate the rutting somewhat but is it much better than the 36". Some comments say the 40" deck with three 14" blades doesn't cut as well as the 36 with two 18" blades. Looking for thoughts on this from people that have either unit on the cutting qualities and rutting. My Stander is quite a bit lighter , a little over 600lbs. The Toro's are much heavier, although even that is hard to pin down 756 and 773 in the manual and 779 and 790 respectively on the website. Looking for thoughts on these two units. My dealer doesn't handle Scag, Exmark, etc. etc. so just looking for comments on these two units. I'm in the north with cool season grasses.
Thanks

Well I'm not in the North but here in Florida I've been told by dealers that the 36" out sell the 40" ten to one. They also tell me the same thing that you mention and that's the 40" doesn't cut as well.
I purchased the 36" about two years ago for the same reason as you mentioned, getting through gates and it's been a great all around mower, tight area and other wise and the 5yr 1200 hr warranty ain't bad either. The 36" is a little less money and a little less weight and the difference in productivity between the two units is near nothing.
As far as rutting goes both mowers have are going to have somewhat of a heavy foot print but not as bad as some that I've seen. I say that based on what I mow here which is St.Augustine on top of sand and muck with a clay base and is wet 2/3rds of the time.
The height adjustment on the mower is great, that was one of the reasons I purchased the mower and it can be done on the fly without a problem. The thing is this is just my opinion and experience with the mower and others may have something different too say but for me the 36" was money well spent.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 600 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45

Last edited by ric1; 09-29-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks ric1 for the feedback, appreciated. Anyone else, I pulling the trigger on Monday.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys love the Wright stander better. I thinks its because I haven't found the right blade for the grandstand yet.
Posted via Mobile Device