Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

4 AC Weed/Feed Sprayer-Spreader Reccomendations

We just acquired our first estate property 4 ac. I am looking for recommendations for a sprayer setup, as well as large spreader recommendations. Do y'all recommend building a setup, i.e mounting a sprayer on a zero turn, or modifying a TSC type pull behind, etc. We will be spraying pre-emergents/weed control & using spreader for granule fertilizers. Any recommendation would be helpful.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

If it's your only large property, you might can just use your skid sprayer and push spreader. On large properties, I personally use an atv with a 25 gal tank, 12 v pump and a 14 ft boom. For dry products, I use a herd atv77. I really like the boom sprayer. The herd spreader is just ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

A used dedicated ride on such a z spray or perma green might be another option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You would probably find other properties to use a ride on! They are quite handy!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 acres is a lot to cover. If you think you're in the biz for the long haul and will have larger properties then I think a machine such as the Z-Spray is the way to go.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Use your present equipment for the first year...then...if you land other large properties...and if you retain the big job for next year--go for a ride-on. Be sure to do a really good job; keep the customer happy. Customers pay your salary.
You don't want to buy some expensive equipment--if you lose the account next year.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the ground will support the weight of your truck, a boom fed by your skid sprayer is another way to do it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate all of the responses. I was looking at some of the ride on sprayers, but like you suggested, I want to wait till I get another(or few more) larger properties. The areas to be sprayed are cut up, with pool, walking paths, 25k sq foot house, garages, etc . (plus hills). The turf is mainly st. Augustine, with a mix of some zoysia. It would probably hold the weight of our trucks, but the turf areas are so broken up by structures, I wouldn't be able to get my trucks in some of the areas. Unless, I used a Japanese truck with a skid maybe...hmmm..Can you get good coverage out of a tow behind 25 gallon boom sprayer? I have read several of y'alls previous post, and I believe with proper calibration; Nozzles (AI) I believe greendoctor recommends, you can get good coverage. Thoughts? Thanks again for the replies.

Troland
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In another time, "estate sprayers" were marketed. 25-50 gallon tank on a trailer, gas driven pump, and ability to fit a boom on the sprayer. Unfortunately, most of the tow behind sprayers have electric pumps and their "booms" are two flood nozzles spaced far apart. I am fond of gas driven pumps for their ability to provide good agitation and have enough pressure/volume to run a boom with AI tips. Not having agitation forces you to fill from a nurse tank with good agitation and worry about keeping the load in suspension while spraying. You said this rig would be used to treat St Augustine, with some zoysia. A lot of what is sprayed on those grasses is not a clear liquid. I treat those grasses too and most of what I am applying is either a DG, WP or a flowable. What I mentioned about the boom fitted to the back of my truck is only for open fields. Most of my properties are extremely cut up or completely inaccessible to vehicles. 300-400 ft of hose and a hand held boom is more manageable.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! Ai tips are about the worst idea you can give to this guy. Way to much drift, and as far as coverage nothing beats a flat fan. I personally use tee-jets 8003. As far as an inexpensive set up, buy a atv type sprayer and mount it to a riding lawn tractor. It doesn't take much to make a bracket or have a welding shop put one on for you. I spray about 700 yards a year that average 20,000 sqft. Currently use a skid tank sprayer, and a simplicity 23hp tractor with the atv sprayer mounted on the back with a dry spreader that i can mount on the same bracket. Can switch them out in about 15 min. As far as cost i had a $400 investment in the sprayer from a local farm store and bought a spyker 12v spreader for around 1k. The spreader is worth every dime! With the 12v pumps make sure you get over a 3gpm pump if you are going to have a boom. I run about 22 psi and can cover about an acre per fill. Best of luck and forget the idea about a pg.