Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm am not at the moment. Going to get it over winter for next year. I have refered some to The Otherside Landscaping
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProLC View Post
Angie's List member & not happy with them at all
You advertise with them? What has been the problem/s?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's been said but it's worth saying again, Craigslist. It's truly free minus about 5 minutes of your time to make the ad. I started my company in July which is really not a great time to start a lawn care business and so far I have landed 4 regular maintenance accounts, 2 larger one off jobs (landscaping, one time mows aren't in my business plan), and 2 full days worth of aerations this fall all from my craigslist ads. If I were a huge company that amount of return wouldn't support the growth I need but for a small company just starting out it's great and the growth quickly turns into an exponential thing.

Other than that whatever type of media you can get printed in bulk the cheapest that looks professional, then spend your free time handing them out and don't be afraid of getting creative. Obviously hanging them on the doors of the properties you want to service is a good idea but there are more efficient ways of getting your message out there. I will never condone breaking the law so check with authorities in regards to solicitation laws but if you're after high end most hospitals have a specific doctors parking lot, instead of houses a hundred feet or so away all their cars are 3 feet away from each other. People with money tend to spend time at country clubs etc. Finding places where your target demographic congregate and putting your message out there any way you can will provide a return.

Also don't overlook the power of a website. People use the internet for everything, get a page, make it rank on google and answer your phone. Often the first person to answer the phone gets the job. I'm still working on the website part myself but I'm getting there.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in business to spray as well, started this year. My websites rank well, but i can't compete with the likes of lawn doctor, scotts or trugreen for lawn treatment customers. I think people naturally want to go with the nationally known companies. I've given up on the website for picking up many lawn app customers, and concentrating on some kind of referral program for current customers, door to door in neighborhoods i'm already in as well as door hangers that have a place for me to write in a price.. I'm hoping i can double my customer base that way as quick as possible so i can drop some of the mowing. Anyways, the website and craigslist have not helped me much for picking up the lawn treatment customers, but i seem to pick up atleast 1 or 2 mowing customers a week. I get about 1 or 2 leads for lawn treatment a month, while i may get 20 to 30 lawn mowing leads a month. Getting ready to take mowing out of my advertising completely to see if that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad718 View Post
I started a lawn care business this spring doing only treatments, no mowing, landscaping, etc. I started out by going door to door through many neighborhoods dropping fliers, with very little response. Luckily for me, the company I used to work for went out of business and I was able to pick up quite a few accounts. Since I can't count on growth like that again, I have been looking into different advertising options. Has anyone had success with any of the following? Angie's list, Groupon, yellow pages, Google adwords, or possibly just hiring someone to make my website more visible, other? I have a very limited advertising budget and want to get the most bang for my buck. Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Craigslist works if you know what your doing, but generally Craigslist customers are SHITTY. They don't pay their bills on time and only looking for the right price, I still advertise on Craigslist but my ads are professional with pictures and I do it only because it's free. NEWSPAPER ADS ARE THE BEST. They are cheap and you can run them in many different areas, you would be suprised. I picked up about 50 customers in one spring with about $300 in ad costs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProLC View Post
Are you licensed? Always looking for someone to refer lawn care treatments to on Northside of Indy
Im a licensed applicator and I do quite a few treatments on the north side and im looking for more. Ill pm you my contact info. Always appreciate referrals
Posted via Mobile Device