Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-FS-90-...item3a8555e181 9 hours left gooooooooo
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
One might wonder why this ebay trimmer with less than 50 hrs and runs perfect looks like it does--something smells here.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you mean looks like it does? Take a close look that engine is very good looking. What are you referring to? Someone with LawnSite Senior Member status has much influence so you may be stopping someone from getting a perfectly excellent engine..

My professional opinion that engine looks wonderful. I'm a technician who has competed and passed redmax advanced diagnosis, Briggs Certified and is a certified STIHL technician...

Now if you don't mind what about that engine looks fishy to you?
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
definitely go with echo 265 when you replace it, a 2 stroke and adjustable carburetor.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My professional opinion that engine looks wonderful. I'm a technician who has competed and passed redmax advanced diagnosis, Briggs Certified and is a certified STIHL technician...

Friend...... When you suggest a air leak/carb issue on a 4 cycle Briggs engine causing a over-rev situation, That reduces your credibility........

Quote:
Came off a unit with approx 50 hrs. was running very good
Why would anyone in their right mind tear apart a perfectly good running engine ???

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Friend...... When you suggest a air leak/carb issue on a 4 cycle Briggs engine causing a over-rev situation, That reduces your credibility........

Why would anyone in their right mind tear apart a perfectly good running engine ???
10 4.....I smell a fish......
If he went to all them schools....he didnt learn too much....

I think he called all of us that dont have ultrasonic cleaners idiots too...
Funny though....I ran a mower shop for 10 years and only sold 3 carburetors...fixed the rest...
aint never had no ultramasonic cleaner gidgee.....
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Friend...... When you suggest a air leak/carb issue on a 4 cycle Briggs engine causing a over-rev situation, That reduces your credibility......

Reduces credibility: No. Makes me human: yes. Eh it happens No one is perfect.

Why would anyone in their right mind tear apart a perfectly good running engine ??? Gee I dunno a number of reasons. Bought unit cheap and wanted to make more money for it parting it out...

I think he called all of us that dont have ultrasonic cleaners idiots too...

If he went to all them schools....he didnt learn too much....

I mis spoke. But to say I didn't learn too much well you're entitled to that opinion. Also you know what they say about those. However it seems you'r getting defensive or upset that you don't have ultrasonic y'know they're not too expensive and they do a great job. There is a difference between cleaning a carb backwoods style with a tooth brush or putting it inside a jar and shaking it or what every they do in your garage. VS an Ultrasonic Thermal controlled unit specifically designed to scrub places your tooth brush just wont reach.

And I said Joke not idiot. When I first started out I cleaned carbs bubba style too but after I bought my unit I realized I was fooling myself. Times are changing fuel has changed. No longer will hot water/carb cleaner and some scrubbing remove these tumultuous deposits. You old timers had it easier back then. Try an ultrasonic. If you don't like it I'll buy you lunch for a week.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
Sorta an observer here, but Jeff, you may have missed the point that Wayne bought the Stihl "4-mess" as he calls it because he had owned an older Stihl that he had been very pleased with--it wasn't some other brand. If his 4-mix had performed at the level of his 2-stroke Stihl, it appears he would have been happy with it.

After years of reading this forum, don't know what it is about Stihl that brings the passion out--both for and against. No other brand seems to bring out the strong feelings. For the most part, I guessing a fair amount of thought goes into equipment purchases, and yet there is no shortage of opinions of how bad the decisions were--oh well, it keeps the forum going!
Glynn,
I will respectfully disagree with you that I missed Waynes point. Here is why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I purchased a Stihl way back in 95 when they were made in Japan. The thing lasted until 2000. I replaced it with a Stihl 4-mix piece of crap and that left such a bad taste in my mouth I went with RedMax and Shindiawa and have not regretted it. If I had to choose only one line of 2-strokes it would be RedMax. I've run the crap out of my BCZ2600S and its going on 8yrs old with not even a spark plug. I had a BCZ3000 that had a funky rattle in it from day one. It never gave any problems but it was just a little too heavy for my needs so I traded it in on another piece of equipment I needed. My 7500 blower is been flawless too though it seems a little on the heavy side. Then again it may just be me getting older...
So as you can see, Wayne purchased a Stihl back in 1995 and it lasted until 2000... At which time Wayne replaced it with a Stihl 4-Mix that he had problems with, although I haven't found any actual issues with it that he had mentioned... He then went with 2 other brands and has not regretted it! No mention of any other Stihl though...

Fast forward 13 YEARS LATER, and he is still b!tching about the Stihl 4-Mix that gave him so much trouble!

Not to mention, he pops in to spew useless information on MisterBreeze's thread that was simply asking how he could salvage his engine?

Thats how I see it... I could be wrong...

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Reduces credibility: No. Makes me human: yes. Eh it happens : No one is perfect.
. When I first started out I cleaned carbs bubba style too .
I dont clean carbs bubba style...I clean the obstructions and reassemble them...
I don't soak..or use snake oils....I read the flow charts...identify the problem...and fix it...

Btw....we expect everyone that claims to be a technician ...to be perfect...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Btw....we expect everyone that claims to be a technician ...to be perfect...

And...... Return to the thread they mis-informed in and correct their "mistake", Most of these people are commercial users and do not need to be sent on wild goose chases......

Quote:
Try an ultrasonic. If you don't like it I'll buy you lunch for a week.

I'd bet lunch for a week, Myself or Slapper can clean 3+ carbs while your sit'n around wait'n for your fancy pants machine to clean one......

Check out Slapper's quote in my sig......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!