Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
If 'formal education' actually taught the basic principles then discussed the 'many variations' of the subject matter,,, I would agree... but formal education doesn't do that,,, and this isn't complicated at all...
Considering the fact that this site covers soil conditions from all over the country, your suggestion at best is naive. Go to school and learn what you need to know. Otherwise you may be wondering why your competition has more work than you.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Considering the fact that this site covers soil conditions from all over the country, your suggestion at best is naive. Go to school and learn what you need to know. Otherwise you may be wondering why your competition has more work than you.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasn't asking a question and I know that understanding soils is NOT complicated... there is more complication in pancake batter in order to make "The Perfect Pancake"...

Soil friability and tilth are both easy to understand as you see and feel what you soil is doing... schools tend to complicate it with poor pix in bad textbooks... I played in the garden when I was 4 years old instead of a sandbox and quickly recognized the difference... my childhood was involved in building up the garden soil...

In my neighborhood every 4 yr. old understood WHY the garden stayed wet so much longer than the sandbox after a rain... so much confusion about irrigation on this forum and no one knows if their lawn is a sandbox or a well tended garden soil... plz don't tell me I need to go to school and learn what I need to know... It is insulting to any intelligence level to indicate that friability and tilth are too complicated to see and feel for one's self...
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
I wasn't asking a question and I know that understanding soils is NOT complicated... there is more complication in pancake batter in order to make "The Perfect Pancake"...

Soil friability and tilth are both easy to understand as you see and feel what you soil is doing... schools tend to complicate it with poor pix in bad textbooks... I played in the garden when I was 4 years old instead of a sandbox and quickly recognized the difference... my childhood was involved in building up the garden soil...

In my neighborhood every 4 yr. old understood WHY the garden stayed wet so much longer than the sandbox after a rain... so much confusion about irrigation on this forum and no one knows if their lawn is a sandbox or a well tended garden soil... plz don't tell me I need to go to school and learn what I need to know... It is insulting to any intelligence level to indicate that friability and tilth are too complicated to see and feel for one's self...
I am happy for your childhood. I hope the OP takes my advise and takes some classes about agronomy it will help him and his future.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Smallaxe, I have to agree with easy-lift-guy on this honestly. We and I appreciate you sharing all your knowledge on soil and lawns, especially on the forum. I've learned a great deal from you myself.

I agree with you to a degree, an education only gives you the building blocks for learning. I've learned a great deal without an education in this field, just by listening, discussing, and debating on the forum. Part of that has with the determination I have to learn this type of stuff, because like you, I grew up being outside in the yard.

However, you have to also realize there are people that are just getting started and don't know the basic principles, or even what's needed to keep a lawn "green." An education gives you those building blocks, or better yet, rather than paying for an "education" I learned a computer and some determination to learn can go just as far as a formal education.

Like you said, there's not too much to learning this stuff, but there is basic principles that must be understood which you can learn online by yourself and countless hours, or an education can help you achieve that goal. In my opinion, you want to learn this stuff, you'll learn it whether it be online and researching or an education. But if you don't have a passion or desire to learn it, it's simple, your not going to learn it.

I agree with both of you to a point, but Smallaxe, you also have to realize there are people that weren't born with this "natural". An education may give them the building blocks, while you could get the same education online with a desire to learn. Either way is a good route in my books, only if you have a desire to learn and educate yourself.

In person effort and trial and error can be your best education, but there comes a point to where you can only mess up so many times before you realize you have to understand the basic principles.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickz123 View Post
...but do all of you know about seeding and how to make a customers lawn look greener if a customer were to ask you how to make there lawn look greener or can you seed there lawn would you do it or refer them to a seeding company... me personally i dont know to much about seeding and making a lawn look greener but id love to learn any help ????
Yes, many of us here do. Here are some things I believe that may help you or give you an idea of what to learn first:

Biggest problem leading to poor turf: not enough water
Second biggest problem: too much water
Biggest determining factor in lawn's appearance: the type (species) of grass growing
Best thing you can do first to improve almost any lawn: mow more often, at appropriate height, and at slower ground speeds than most guys mow

After that, fertilizing, overseeding, aerating, power raking, topdressing, treating for weeds and insects are all practices that can improve lawns.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've worked with people who have an education background... even talked with people who were currently taking nite classes... there are people with formal education on this forum... yet NONE can relate to turf problems in regards to soil friability and tilth???
That is your basic building block of understanding,,, friability and tilth...
The education system has dropped the ball big time in the areas of horticulture and I use their students as Exhibit A... if you believe I'm in error,,, then ask yourself,, "Why is there no information about Friability and/or Tilth on this forum???" I am a big believer in education,,, but I don't see it happening...