Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Can I cut KBG/Fescue at 1" to 1 1/4"?

Hi Guys, Newbie here, first post. We recently redid our entire yard and I have started cutting my own lawn again. We sodded with a 60%KBG/ 40% tall fescue
mix and after one season it looks great. I have been cutting it with my Honda rotary but I am really wanting to go the reel mower direction. If I cut it lower than 2" with the rotary it looks yellowish, loses it's dark green color, and appears splotchy colorwise. If I go to a reel mower ( it's between the Tru Cut and Cal Trimmer) can I cut it shorter with good results? I don't mind cutting 2 times a week.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you have a golf course back there ? Raise the deck to 3 - 3 1/2
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The shortest I would go is 2.5" unless you get over 85 degrees or 29 for Canadians.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you cut it that short, even in Canada, it will probably die. If you want cool season grass at 1" you need hybrid bentgrass.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Now I am cautious but still confused. I'm reading where a lot of the baseball stadiums in the Pac Northwest incl. Safeco Field cut their KBG at !". If I get the Caltrimmer it cuts at 1 1/2" or shorter while the Tru Cut does 2 1/4". There are a lot of lawns in Vancouver that are cut short but they don't look like bent grass. I need to try and talk to some local gardeners to find out more from them.Thanks again
Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a big difference between a reel cut and a rotary cut. A reel cut mows without pulling on grass roots or tearing the leaf tips. A rotary with its vacuum action and blades that get dull the second the mower is started not so. This was illustrated to me on bermuda grass sports fields. One was cut with a reel mower at 3/4", the other at 2" with a rotary. The rotary cut field has basically been converted to coarse grassy weeds because of the bermuda being yanked out of the ground at every mowing. The coarse weeds have no trouble growing because their roots are stuck in the ground hard. If I am not mistaken, most of the fine turf in Europe and the UK is reel cut. Their grass is a mix of fine fescues, bent and rye. You might have a shift in grass population where the KBG is favored by the low mowing.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

IFF your KBG can survive at this short of a cutting height...it will need more water and full sun to live. Short KBG in shade will not thrive, and may not even survive.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quick update
I have been cutting with a Cal Trimmer 7 blade mower for 3 months now and the yard looks fantastic. Started at 1 1/2" and now cutting at 1 13/8. Lawn is very thick and lush. Cut at least twice a week. I have a few small bumps and dips from irrigation lines trenches settling from last year. What is the best way to fill those low spots gradually?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big difference between your yard and a baseball stadium too. Most athletic fields use custom hybrid varieties bred for short growth and grow their own sod patches to repair areas as needed. Irrigation and fertilization is also closely monitored .
Posted via Mobile Device