Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Command Clicking when starting

Hello all... first and foremost I want to thank anyone who responds.

Anyways, I have a 25hp kohler command on a scag tigercub. The engine is not starting when I turn the key. However, When I try to start the engine with the key, I am hearing a single clicking noise coming from somewhere in the carb? (it is definitely not the starter or the solenoid). I am getting 12v to the starter, and I cleaned up all connections and whatnot. I am able to get the engine to turn over, crank and fire right up if I jump the starter with a screwdriver.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

What you are hearing is the Fuel Solenoid! The solenoid is only to shut flow of fuel off of the main jet. That and a few other things but lets not get into that.

What is happening I believe is a bad starter solenoid or bad key switch. OR bad connection.

ensure solenoid is getting 12 v at lower hot terminal when key is turned. No juice? Chance key switch. Juice? ensure solenoid is grounded properly. If not then replace starter solenoid. Then go mow some lawns.

Watch this video please https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9Uo77kesw
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you for the response. I am definitely getting 12 volt when the key is turned on and I check the solenoid.I guess this means to Culprit is probably the solenoid... but how do I test the ground and make sure it is good? I only see three wires attached to it 1 being the Positive from the battery, one is another red one that goes to wiring harness, and the third being a blur one that goes to the wiring harness?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

For a detailed procedure visit http://www.ehow.com/how_6703905_test...-solenoid.html

Content is property of eHow and the credit goes to them

Find the solenoid on your lawn mower. Trace the large red or positive cable that comes off the battery to the first junction to which it is connected. The battery cable will end at the solenoid and be connected to an electrical post. Leading away and on the other side of the solenoid will be another large red cable. This leads to the starter motor. Although there will be one or two other wires connected to the solenoid, none will be as large as the battery and starter cables.

Remove the starter cable from the solenoid by using the proper sized wrench. Keep the battery cable mounted and in place.

Set your multimeter to 20 volts DC. Turn the ignition to "on" and touch the black or ground probe to the chassis, and then touch the red or positive probe to the post where the battery cable is connected. Read the multimeter and verify that there is a voltage reading of approximately 12 volts.

Remove the red probe from the battery side, and touch the electrical post where the starter cable has been removed. Turn the ignition to the "start" position and read the voltage on the multimeter. The voltage should be exactly the same as on the battery side. If there is no voltage showing, the solenoid is no longer working and needs to be replaced.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad starter solenoid or starter relay. By jumping across the 2 bolts/wires on your starter as you described, you are bypassing the solenoid. I am leaning towards solenoid because I think if the relay is out your fuel pump wouldn't work. Check voltage at the same place where you jumped across the starter while you turn the key to start it. i am betting you will read zero.

edit: I didn't read the whole thread. Now i see the post above me says the same thing.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kranker,

What is your Engine Model, Spec., and Serial numbers?

I assume it has a Denso or a Delco solenoid shift starter on the engine and not an inertia drive which would use a seperate starter solenoid.

Assuming it is the solenoid shift style, you will have the main battery cable (red) go from the battery directly to a starter post. On this same post you will probably have a smaller wire that goes to feed the machine also.
The second post will have a braided "wire" from it and loop inside the starter.
The third "terminal" is a 1/4" push on terminal with a blue wire on it...
Disconnect this blue wire and using your DVM check for battery voltage from this wire to ground in the START position of the key... If you have battery voltage on that blue wire, then you have a starter problem. If you do NOT have battery voltage on that blue wire, then you have a problem in that circuit back on the main harness/engine connection or on the unit somewhere.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!