Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Help! Need some advice

Hi everyone, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Let me first introduce myself and my situation. I used to do a bit of landscaping years ago when I was in high school and college (mainly mowing and sometimes on the landscape crew in the spring). I am now an accountant and haven't scaped for over 10 years.

Here's my situation. My wife and I just built a new home. One of my college buddies and still good friend to this day owns what I presume as a successful landscape/hardscape business. So long story short I asked him to install my lawn, he would not give me a number he said "I'll take care of you what are friends for". So Friday I come home from work and what's going on at my house but my buddy is there with all his equipment grading my rear lawn. So yesterday he shows up again with 1 helper, they worked all day and finished seeding the lawn around 430. They then hung out for a couple beers. When I kept asking about payment he handed me the invoices for 2 truckloads of topsoil, and the material he used in his hydroseeder. Would not take another dime. So I turned to the helper and handed him 150 I thought that would cover his daly pay so my friend didn't have to pay him. So Friday my buddy said he got to my house around 8 and he worked there until 7 that night. I want to pay him or do something to even the situation. I'm thinking between him and his helper they had close to 30 man hours at my house.

What should I pay him?
Is 50-60 an hour good, too much, not enough?
I want to pay him what he deserves as I had every intention in hiring him as a service. We live in western, Pa if that helps
Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Give him 2 grand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-29-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Stillwater, thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't too far off on my numbers. I have a half acre lot if that changes any of your numbers?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's very honorable of you, don't be surprised if he doesn't take it. That's what true friends do. He may need some accountant help down the road.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Sponsor

I believe your college buddy has left you in an unattainable position. I would not leave myself or my business open for issues to arise do to any potential misunderstandings. I suggest that you ask him what his hourly rate is and cut him a check for what you believe he is owed. If he accepts your payment, good for both of you.
If on the other hand you are given excuses for not accepting your offer of payment, something else is going on. If your both professional than keep it professional between the both of you. Business courtesy or discounts are customary in most industries, working for nearly nothing is not. Just curious what would have happened if the work completed by your buddy did not meet your expectations?, how would you handle that situation?
easy-lift guy
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It really is true what they say; No good deed goes unpunished... Where I come from, this is completely normal. I mean, you paid for the materials right? If he was busy and stacked up with work, he would have told you so. Just leave it alone man, he might get offended if you keep pushing the issue... I would....
Old 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

The work was absolutely phenomenal. He has a reputation of high quality and attention to detail. I like your comment, sprinkler buddy, I will definitely try to give him professional services, year end taxes or even tax planning. I do know for a fact that he is booked for the rest of the season, not exactly sure how he squeezed me in. That's why I appreciate it even more.

I'm calling him now to ask what he wants for payment. I know he's a big golfer, I'll have to get him some prepaid play at his local spot.

Thanks guys. I remember way back when I scaped my employer was getting about 60-65 for a man and machine work. I just didn't want to pay him a lower than normal wage.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exscaper View Post
I'm calling him now to ask what he wants for payment. I know he's a big golfer, I'll have to get him some prepaid play at his local spot.
Find the local golf course he attends and buy him a year membership. Usually costs anywhere from 1,000-3,000 depending on the quality of the golf course. If he is an avid golfer he will be in his glory.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.