Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Deere Select series 700 tractors

I've been looking at them for some time, because I don't use a tractor enough to justify a diesel. Even if I bought a used one, down the road the rebuild costs of a diesel are expensive. The thing is, if I'm going to move to a tractor that big I want a 3 point hitch. The 700 series has to be ordered to get the 3 pt. hitch. I don't know if it will accept a sleeve hitch (like the 500 series) or not. I don't think so. With a 3 pt. hitch the 700 series gets into "One" series pricing territory...and it's a diesel. I have a 345 Deere now with the water cooled Kawasaki engine, a 54" deck and a sleeve hitch, but I want something heavier for ground engaging implements, a loader, etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

just bought a 739 this spring with a 54HC, front weight bracket with 2 weights, triple bagger, mounted sprayer, 2 sets of blades, and different brackets for my thatcher and another wing. Yes I'm with you it is a bit high on price but I would do it again in a heart beat.
2014 K&K 20ft landscape trailer
2013 x739 4x4 with 54in HC deck / 60in HD Broom
2010 Toro Grandstand 48in
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenjoe_10 View Post
just bought a 739 this spring with a 54HC, front weight bracket with 2 weights, triple bagger, mounted sprayer, 2 sets of blades, and different brackets for my thatcher and another wing. Yes I'm with you it is a bit high on price but I would do it again in a heart beat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have the 3 pt hitch? If so, how strong is it? Cat 0 or 1 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe crumpler services View Post
Do you have the 3 pt hitch? If so, how strong is it? Cat 0 or 1 ?
Posted via Mobile Device
No I do not I was looking at the stand point of monthly payment and hit my limit before I could add that. I hope to get it put on next spring if you do some browsing on YouTube they seem to be able to handle a good amount. The one that caught my eye was a guy running a 5ft 3pt rough cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

My question is what is the tractor's primary job going to be? I have a 455 john deere myself. When I brought my tractor it was to make it ezaier on me to do smaller landscaping jobs. I have everything but a tiller and power flow bagger. Plus on the tractor engine good for about 4500 hours if taken care of. Lots of power for most jobs and better cutting of thick lawns and most rough cuts. Downside limited loader lifting 300 pounds. But most of my jobs are moving mulch and lite stones. Like you I have another John Deere which is a 285 model which I have everything which I use in my business which my 455 lacks. I'm looking at replacing my 455 with a 1000 series which comes with everything that I can use in my business and gives me some more growing room but at the same time it keeps me in a larger mowing tractor for my larger properties which I like. Some if this helps since I was down that road twenty years ago when I started my business.

Last edited by round about; 10-04-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm one of the first guys to stand up in defense of a gas engine in a pickup, but if you're talking about a tractor forget it, a diesel is the only way to go. I once used a small tractor/backhoe with a 20hp Kohler gas engine and it was a gutless turd. Even running at full throttle the backhoe hydraulics would almost stall the engine. In a small tractor a diesel will give you half the fuel consumption and probably four times the engine life. The little diesels in tractors can easily go 10,000 hours if properly cared for.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
I'm one of the first guys to stand up in defense of a gas engine in a pickup, but if you're talking about a tractor forget it, a diesel is the only way to go. I once used a small tractor/backhoe with a 20hp Kohler gas engine and it was a gutless turd. Even running at full throttle the backhoe hydraulics would almost stall the engine. In a small tractor a diesel will give you half the fuel consumption and probably four times the engine life. The little diesels in tractors can easily go 10,000 hours if properly cared for.
Not to attack diesel engines but todays small gas engines do not have the power of a Model A engine, or the weight of that four cylinder engine's crankshaft with a heavy flywheel to give the match the Ford's Model A engine for torque.

Those not old enough to know Fords tractor engine was basically the Model A engine for many years past WWII.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
Agreed! A gas engine in a tractor is not the way to go. I ran international gas tractors for years. I would cross my fingers and rub my rabbits foot every time i turned the key to start them!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I were moving up in size over a heavy duty GT, I'd skip the One series altogether and go to the 2000 series. There won't be much difference in cost up front, and you can still mow lawns without damage, plu you'll have a much better 3 pt hitch, with much higher lift height for implements. Believe me, you'll be glad you did if you use the 3 pt much. Get a diesel and skip the gas model CUT's/SCUT's.