Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Restricted Herbicides

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get licensed to use the heavy duty chemicals. I'm considering specializing in the removal of: poison ivy, poison oak, and other toxic or nuisance vegetation. I live in Tennessee if that helps.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Sponsor

I would suggest contacting your local county extension office or your state department of agriculture.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You probably need your license in "right of way" vegetation management, for Tennessee. Firms that spray along roads, railroads, and tank farms need this.
Sorry--there is no "heavy duty" stuff. There is an array of herbicides, but most require repeated treatments...or...they act as soil sterilents which would kill nearby trees.

High risk job unless you are positive you are not affected by poison ivy, sumac, and oak.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You probably need your license in "right of way" vegetation management, for Tennessee. Firms that spray along roads, railroads, and tank farms need this.
Sorry--there is no "heavy duty" stuff. There is an array of herbicides, but most require repeated treatments...or...they act as soil sterilents which would kill nearby trees.

High risk job unless you are positive you are not affected by poison ivy, sumac, and oak.
Thanks. I'll look in to the "right of way." I'm only affected by poison ivy mildly if Im covered in it. Sumac is kind of an unknown for me. I'm still trying to study as much as I can. You know of any good sights that specialize in toxic plant removal?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look here http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/regulatory/licenses.shtml

Quote:
You know of any good sights that specialize in toxic plant removal?
You don't need any sites. You study and take the test for the CO6 right of way license. After that, and I haven't looked further but in other states you have to work for somebody who does that kind of work for a number of years then you can operate on your own. So by then you should know all about what you want to know.

Tags
chemical , poison ivy