Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins35 View Post
that would be nice although it would need a 240cc or a 270cc GX engine
These engines don't exist in vertical shaft models. And if they did it would add another 20-30 lbs to an already heavy machine.

What I don't get is why they didn't put the 225 cc Briggs on the timemaster?
Attached Images

Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting, haven't seen that engine before. I am in a constant toss up between getting an Exmark 30 or waiting, I have the funds but would hate to buy something that I won't be able to utilize to its full potential.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

exactly

hate to buy something that I won't be able to utilize to its full potential.[/QUOTE]

the machine is under powered
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Interesting, haven't seen that engine before. I am in a constant toss up between getting an Exmark 30 or waiting, I have the funds but would hate to buy something that I won't be able to utilize to its full potential.
GIE Expo is in a few weeks. Anything new or updates will be announced then. You might consider waiting at least a month.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Good idea. This late in the season it makes sense to wait.

For competitors, this seems like the ideal situation. Toro/Exmark has shown there is a market for the 30", yet they slightly missed the mark on execution. This leaves an opening for nimble competitors.

It especially looks like an opening for a company like Honda that may need to protect any movement away from their 21" commercial mowers, but does not have its own line of 34" - 48" walk-behinds that could see cannibalized demand by adding the 30", though they do make a ton of engines for larger walk-behinds.

I just like the idea of mowing 28" after overlap per pass instead of 19" (47% more) without having to use a $4K or more mower on a small yard.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins35 View Post
exactly

hate to buy something that I won't be able to utilize to its full potential.
the machine is under powered[/QUOTE]

Curious if you have really used one? I find that most people on here have really only kicked the tire but assume that it is underpowered. To this I say not really in every week normal mowing. Every mower could use more power, YES.
So to put every one in check that say that it is under powered I pulled out my trusty honda HRC 216 and ran it side by side through 4" wet growth.
Yes I had to go slower with the exmark 30 but was faster in the long run. Over all cut quality was better with the exmark 30 but the drawback was having to scrape the deck more often.
I then went back and grabbed the bravo 25 and the bravo won in the back yard, but not by much. The bravo is way faster in wet grass than the exmark 30 but in dry grass doesn't compare. Cut quality was better on the exmark 30.
Grabbed an old exmark 26 and they were neck and neck. Exmark 30 had better quality.

So overall I and my guys if presented with any of the above mentioned mowers, hands down would grab the exmark 30. Prove it every day.

Now if they made a 9hp honda engine or Kawi engine to put on the thing I believe the exmark hydro 36 would get used less. (ok probably not)
Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
the machine is under powered
Curious if you have really used one? I find that most people on here have really only kicked the tire but assume that it is underpowered. To this I say not really in every week normal mowing. Every mower could use more power, YES.
So to put every one in check that say that it is under powered I pulled out my trusty honda HRC 216 and ran it side by side through 4" wet growth.
Yes I had to go slower with the exmark 30 but was faster in the long run. Over all cut quality was better with the exmark 30 but the drawback was having to scrape the deck more often.
I then went back and grabbed the bravo 25 and the bravo won in the back yard, but not by much. The bravo is way faster in wet grass than the exmark 30 but in dry grass doesn't compare. Cut quality was better on the exmark 30.
Grabbed an old exmark 26 and they were neck and neck. Exmark 30 had better quality.

So overall I and my guys if presented with any of the above mentioned mowers, hands down would grab the exmark 30. Prove it every day.

Now if they made a 9hp honda engine or Kawi engine to put on the thing I believe the exmark hydro 36 would get used less. (ok probably not)[/QUOTE]

interesting test, glad you posted that info. I like the 30" and want to buy but am waiting until next spring when the improvements have been implemented. I currently have all Honda's and may buy a Bravo next spring as well. I am surprised the bravo didn't have as good a cut quality as the Ex. 30, you would think they would both be pretty much the same cut since both have deep decks, especially if all conditions were the same (both have sharp blades, both at same height, both on same turf, etc.)

I'm curious, do you use the Honda's the least since you have the bravos and Ex. 30's?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wow...not sure what the heck happened to my post, hopefully you see and can understand my post which is below that large quote.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yBravo25 is capable of a nicer better cut [not saying better than the Exmark/ Toro 30] but one has to use a NON-OEM blade to do so.

Sildoc also noted a cut quality difference between his Toro 30 and the Exmark 30 which I find perplexing since I thought the cutting deck was identical...?....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf343 View Post

interesting test, glad you posted that info. I like the 30" and want to buy but am waiting until next spring when the improvements have been implemented. I currently have all Honda's and may buy a Bravo next spring as well. I am surprised the bravo didn't have as good a cut quality as the Ex. 30, you would think they would both be pretty much the same cut since both have deep decks, especially if all conditions were the same (both have sharp blades, both at same height, both on same turf, etc.)

I'm curious, do you use the Honda's the least since you have the bravos and Ex. 30's?

We rarely use the honda. My son had taken it over as his own to mow my personal property. The 30 is significantly faster. Was looking over time trials from 5 years ago when we were using the honda 21 on specific properties. Going from the 21 to the 26 we cut our time by 19% going from the 26 to the 30 we cut our time by another 15% and calculating if we went strait from the 21 to the 30 we cut 39.2% in time savings so a 20 minute lawn went to 12 minutes.