Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'd be asking questions of the crew, maybe take the opportunity to have a little "how to" lesson on engaging and disengaging the blade. Couple of clutches in less than a year seems like reason enough to cover the basics with the operators. Just sayin...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Got any idea where to start on contacting them?

This is latest fail 4 months and no dings on the blades. Looks like rivets gave out.
That is a weird failure... However, I have not had any dealings with any dual belt set up's either.
If you find anything out on the cause, let me know... Just curious...

Link to Warner Electric:
Contact info on the left side!

http://www.warnerelectric.com/agricu...h-products.asp

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Well, I'd be asking questions of the crew, maybe take the opportunity to have a little "how to" lesson on engaging and disengaging the blade. Couple of clutches in less than a year seems like reason enough to cover the basics with the operators. Just sayin...
Posted via Mobile Device
That we will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
That is a weird failure... However, I have not had any dealings with any dual belt set up's either.
If you find anything out on the cause, let me know... Just curious...

Link to Warner Electric:
Contact info on the left side!

http://www.warnerelectric.com/agricu...h-products.asp
Thanks...every clutch failure I experienced in 35 years involved smoke. I will contact them.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well here I am again with clutch out. End ot line for us with this dual pulley used in snapper and ferris.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We are a Ferris dealer and I cant find one that ever used that setup. The newer FW25 and FW35 don't appear to and all the old Dual Drives we see just have a single pulley so not sure what the deal is on that Snapper. After some digging I see Ferris used it on some 36" dual hydros and one 48" machine that was a cheaper offering they had for a couple years.

What tensions the belt? I am assuming the 2 position pulley is for different cutting heights? Is the belt on the right pulley for the cutting height they are using? Are they possibly changing height in the field and not changing the belt position?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
We are a Ferris dealer and I cant find one that ever used that setup. The newer FW25 and FW35 don't appear to and all the old Dual Drives we see just have a single pulley so not sure what the deal is on that Snapper. After some digging I see Ferris used it on some 36" dual hydros and one 48" machine that was a cheaper offering they had for a couple years.

What tensions the belt? I am assuming the 2 position pulley is for different cutting heights? Is the belt on the right pulley for the cutting height they are using? Are they possibly changing height in the field and not changing the belt position?
I appreciate any help to possibly get a single pulley clutch for this unit. It is simply not reasonable to keep moving that belt. But when it came in it was in the ccorrect pulley the lower one.This unit is 4 years old but has set most of last 2 years Due 2 clutch fails. This past week we was mulching leaves so that Iis a heavy load. I am disappointed with this unit, wasted jymtime rebuilding the engine and put cannister filter on it. Not a priority I got better backup units.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well you arent going to get a single pulley clutch for it. Thats how the machine was designed. Sure you could put one on but not sure how it would work.

You must cut pretty low to be using the lower pulley. Its only good for 1.5"-2.75"

Have you talked to a Snapper dealer about your problems? They would have more experience with it than I do. As I said very few Ferris machines ever used that part and I have never seen one.

Only suggestion I can give is maybe try setting it at your most common height in the correct pulley and removing the adjusters from the equation so they cant screw up.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I am very surprised snapper don't use that double pulley are you sure. I don't see any machines in our area at dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Snapper does use it. Ferris does not(at least not very much). They were generally not the same machines at all. Now they are more similar or probably even the same. But the machine you have was not offered as a Ferris. The newer 25 and 35 machines could be the same, but they do not use that double pulley.

Its meant to have that double pulley for the different cutting heights.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Snapper does use it. Ferris does not(at least not very much). They were generally not the same machines at all. Now they are more similar or probably even the same. But the machine you have was not offered as a Ferris. The newer 25 and 35 machines could be the same, but they do not use that double pulley.

Its meant to have that double pulley for the different cutting heights.
Lets see I got two very old snappers with an adjustable deck almost same as this new sw20 and single pulley. And both of them still on trailers working away. I figure out a way to put the exact clutch on this newer unit if I have to but one of my old kohlers on it.