Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
I never said they aren't good trucks, believe me I have owned every engine model almost of every diesel pickup manufacturer and they all have there quirks. But as for those problems being non existent in job 2 and job 3 trucks not so true. Yes they were better then job 1 but the issues where still present. Good friend of mine owns a performance shop that specializes in ford's and I have seen many 2009,2010 6.4 with cabs off getting serious repairs done to them. Point in case a lot of these costly repairs can be prevented by bullet proofing these trucks
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. The 6.4 has almost no head gasket trouble in stock form( much better than the 6.0) however with the HP potential of the 6.4 and the ease of boosting it bulletproofing is a good first step.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are offering me a 3yr/54,000 mile warranty for $1,996. Is it worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say yes but what does it cover and how many miles do you do a year?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be cautious unless it is a ford factory warranty.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It covers the powertrain.. Motor, tranny, rear end, transfer case and all that good stuff..

I am gonna find out who would work on it in the instance it broke.. I bought the truck thru a dodge dealership.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

nice truck junior. I have two 6.4's. 2008 with flatbed and 65k miles and a 2010 just like yours with 61k miles.

the 2008 had some radiator issues and some problems with sensors and a rear seal leak.
I just added a leaf spring and new shocks on the 2008 flatbed and it is a true joy to drive now. If you are going to haul a full sized machine, I highly recommend the extra leaf. The 2008 and newer trucks have longer leaf springs. Smoother ride but they flex more and can/will squat or bottom out on bumps. The extra leaf doesn't make the ride any stiffer and I'm on crappy roads a lot and it only raised my rear end up an inch. Before that I thought I had steering problems but everything was within tolerances in the steering box which led me to look at the suspension.

Have fun with all the mods that are out there! These trucks were made to work!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
They are offering me a 3yr/54,000 mile warranty for $1,996. Is it worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you know the name of the warranty company? I was just quoted over $2200 / 34k miles for a two year warranty on the Dodge I just bought on Monday.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Do you know the name of the warranty company? I was just quoted over $2200 / 34k miles for a two year warranty on the Dodge I just bought on Monday.
I'll let you know I've got the paperwork in the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
nice truck junior. I have two 6.4's. 2008 with flatbed and 65k miles and a 2010 just like yours with 61k miles.

the 2008 had some radiator issues and some problems with sensors and a rear seal leak.
I just added a leaf spring and new shocks on the 2008 flatbed and it is a true joy to drive now. If you are going to haul a full sized machine, I highly recommend the extra leaf. The 2008 and newer trucks have longer leaf springs. Smoother ride but they flex more and can/will squat or bottom out on bumps. The extra leaf doesn't make the ride any stiffer and I'm on crappy roads a lot and it only raised my rear end up an inch. Before that I thought I had steering problems but everything was within tolerances in the steering box which led me to look at the suspension.

Have fun with all the mods that are out there! These trucks were made to work!
I've yet to hook anything up.. But I am loving the truck so far

just got back from a 200 acre lease I've got and boy was it a nice ride..

What kind of mpg are you seeing, yellow?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Junior. I'm seeing about 14 and sometimes 15 in the 2010 CC F250 4x4 short bed
The '08 with flatbed is seeing max 12-13 but it's a DRW, CC 4x4. Towing sucks. 7.4-7.9 mpg with 12-14k weight.

I have to admit. Compared to my 2005, which I was very used to, the '08 and '10 are a joy to drive and work from. I have the captains chairs and the center console is so much easier to write on or access than the earlier models.
The ride is smooth and I have plenty of power with NO mods yet. The only complaint is fuel economy towing but I don't think there is much of a fix with the weight and aerodynamics of towing.

Make sure you get a winch. The winch bumpers look very cool on these trucks and I've already paid for my winch in what would have been recovery charges. I didn't post about it but nearly sank my Bobcat in a lake earlier in the week when it "slid" down a concrete dam that was covered in a slimy algae. So much went through my mind but I didn't panic and dropped the grapple into the concrete effectively anchoring me while I ran uphill to get my truck. Winch got me to where I could put a chain on it and the power of the 6.4 in 4 low pulled a 10k Bobcat up enough to get traction. I wish I had bought a 12k winch but only had enough money for an 8k. Going to upgrade soon!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing