Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should move on, and by the way better hope employers in your area aren't on lawnsite.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I sprayed an Accountant's yard today and ask him about 1099 Employees. He said the IRS's definition would blow a lot of peoples minds. In other words a lot of companies using 1099 labor are in serious violation of the law.

This doesn't surprise me and I've been saying it for years. There are very few people that claim to be 1099s that really are by the IRS definition. Its actually easier to just use a seperate company and have them bill you as a subcontractor. With the government getting cash strapped they are going to look at every body with a fine toothed comb. Small business' have always been low hanging fruit usually from the owners own ignorance or thinking they are too small for the IRS to notice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 09-29-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo View Post
Not true Mark per State Farm Insurance guidelines. If you work full time for one employer and don't have your workers comp and liability insurance, then your an employee. So, yes indeed it has to do with time.
You may want to read what Ric says below.

Quote:
I sprayed an Accountant's yard today and ask him about 1099 Employees. He said the IRS's definition would blow a lot of peoples minds. In other words a lot of companies using 1099 labor are in serious violation of the law.

Judo, I don't give a crap what State Farm has to say about emp vs sub. What I and anyone else should care about is what the IRS has to say about who is a sub and who is an employee, because they are the ones who matter.

Someone can work for me for a day and be an employee. Someone can work for me for 50 years and be a sub. Or vice versa.

You do realize that the IRS is who got Al Capone and many other mob bosses. Tax evasion, which is what it is if you incorrectly classify an employee vs sub.

Here is what the IRS has to say:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...29-or-Employee

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/ne...VsEmployee.PDF

No where does it state time of employment as an requirement of employee vs subcontractor.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Under Fla Chapter 482, Commercial Pest Control company can not 1099 any employee. If I so much as hire a spray hose puller for a day, I must put him on the books and take taxes out of his pay. This is one of the way the State is finding Rent A Licenses.

How do big boys especially get away paying there sales people commission only Ric? The generally allow them to use a company wrapped vehicle, but only pay commission. Are they still a employee and get paid min. wage for the weekly hours IF the commission does not outweigh the hourly wage at min?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Oomkes hit the nail on the head. The IRS is the final authority as to who is and is not a subcontractor. I do know this..you (the individual) must have (own or rent/ lease) all tools and equipment necessary for the job. Otherwise, you are an employee.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
How do big boys especially get away paying there sales people commission only Ric? The generally allow them to use a company wrapped vehicle, but only pay commission. Are they still a employee and get paid min. wage for the weekly hours IF the commission does not outweigh the hourly wage at min?
Micky

Asking that question, You might want to also ask for a refund on your college degree in business.

Outside salespeople work their own schedule and don't have to report in or do office duties. Therefore they don't have to be paid by the hour. Outside techs who work service call can also be paid on commission only since they only do work outside. Fact is a Spray Tech who doesn't report into the Office at a set time of day, could be paid commission only.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Micky

Asking that question, You might want to also ask for a refund on your college degree in business.

Outside salespeople work their own schedule and don't have to report in or do office duties. Therefore they don't have to be paid by the hour. Outside techs who work service call can also be paid on commission only since they only do work outside. Fact is a Spray Tech who doesn't report into the Office at a set time of day, could be paid commission only.

Pricky,

Go read your post in this thread and you might understand my confusion, you see my business degree is working just fine, as you were stating how anyone working under 482 could not be a 1099...but then you went on to state that indeed they could be...I mean a sales person is a card holder under 482 right!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Pricky,

Go read your post in this thread and you might understand my confusion, you see my business degree is working just fine, as you were stating how anyone working under 482 could not be a 1099...but then you went on to state that indeed they could be...I mean a sales person is a card holder under 482 right!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mikey

I lead you to the water and now I know why you couldn't make it as a trainee Stock Boy for Walmart.

1099 is a form used by a company to report to the IRS payment made to individuals with out paying FICA, SS or worker comp for that person.

Commission paid to salespeople working for a Pest Control are not 1099. FICA, SS and Worker Comp etc are paid by the Chapter 482 commercial Licensed Pesticide Company.

Once again, You should not ask but rather demand a refund on your college degree which is lacking of any real education.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Mikey

I lead you to the water and now I know why you couldn't make it as a trainee Stock Boy for Walmart.

Well we can not all be successful ex-clowns, ex-nursery owners, ex-lawn boy ex-trappers, experts like you Pricky.
Maybe someday I can be as successful as you and run a solo spray operation into my early 80's and tell everyone how good I am, but until then I guess I will just keep wasting that college education!

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!