Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get stainless steel. The painted spreaders corrode from the effects of fertilizer. The abrasive action of the fertilizer is like a sandblaster down near the impeller. The paint is soon gone and then the fert rusts through the tubing. Average lifespan is about two years. At a minimum, if you have a painted steel model, cover any steel tubing within 6 inches of the impeller with about 6 layers of electrical tape.
Do you live in a humid area? LOL!

Actually the Scotts (now Andersen) is the Cadillac of spreaders--and priced to match. The patented helical cone is the best pattern adjustment system. Hopper is fiberglass; does not distort in the heat. Edge guard works well.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-02-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

was at the local supplier picking up some materials yesterday afternoon. They have this model listed below and would sell to me for $220. I know it's $40 less on amazon but from what I've read, I'd be willing to pay 40 extra to have it already assembled. 100 pound hopper seems pretty excessive but to see this spreader in person and push it around it seemed solid to me.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2170-...=earthway+2170
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
was at the local supplier picking up some materials yesterday afternoon. They have this model listed below and would sell to me for $220. I know it's $40 less on amazon but from what I've read, I'd be willing to pay 40 extra to have it already assembled. 100 pound hopper seems pretty excessive but to see this spreader in person and push it around it seemed solid to me.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2170-...=earthway+2170
that's basically the same as mine, but with a larger capacity.

As Riggle stated, eventually the painted metal will corrode. Stainless won't. I've treated 8 properties so far and have no complaints, but like I said, this one is a starter model for me just to see how everything will progress. I wash mine after each use and put a coat of fluid film on it.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
that's basically the same as mine, but with a larger capacity.

As Riggle stated, eventually the painted metal will corrode. Stainless won't. I've treated 8 properties so far and have no complaints, but like I said, this one is a starter model for me just to see how everything will progress. I wash mine after each use and put a coat of fluid film on it.
Yeah I hear you. I just don't want to spend more than around $220 right now. The SS models of any maker are very expensive in relation to the amount I want to spend right now.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget about the weight situation. A bigger hopper means you are pushing more dead weight. And naturally you will seldom add more than 50 pounds. A bigger spreader takes up more room on the trailer or pickup. And when you lift it onto the pickup...its hard on your back. Drop by the dealer and put two unopened bags of fert in the hopper and push it around on some uphill grass. Now imagine lifting the spreader (which probably weighs 50 pounds) partially full of fertilizer, onto your truck and off about 16 times per day.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Don't forget about the weight situation. A bigger hopper means you are pushing more dead weight. And naturally you will seldom add more than 50 pounds. A bigger spreader takes up more room on the trailer or pickup. And when you lift it onto the pickup...its hard on your back. Drop by the dealer and put two unopened bags of fert in the hopper and push it around on some uphill grass. Now imagine lifting the spreader (which probably weighs 50 pounds) partially full of fertilizer, onto your truck and off about 16 times per day.
That's all very true. So maybe I should just order that 50lb earthway.....

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-C22HD...=ISXE6Y14CEA4L

I would just drive out to JDL and get the Lesco, but it seems finding any charts that are half way easy and reliable is hard. I hear you can buy Lesco only products and the setting is on the bag. However, I use several different suppliers.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Around 2/3 of the non-LESCO products I use have both a letter and number setting listed for the LESCO spreader, and usually at a couple of different application rates. Those are good starting points but still need to be checked by all users.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Around 2/3 of the non-LESCO products I use have both a letter and number setting listed for the LESCO spreader, and usually at a couple of different application rates. Those are good starting points but still need to be checked by all users.
True, you do see a lot of Lesco settings on lots of different types of bagged material. However, seems that Earthway chart is the easiest I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just most comfortable with it and that's keeping me from buying another brand.

That 100lb hopper model I looked at yesterday the Earthway 2017 was big. However, it would be nice to have more room if needed versus getting a 50lb hopper and needing more room at a property.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
True, you do see a lot of Lesco settings on lots of different types of bagged material. However, seems that Earthway chart is the easiest I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just most comfortable with it and that's keeping me from buying another brand.

That 100lb hopper model I looked at yesterday the Earthway 2017 was big. However, it would be nice to have more room if needed versus getting a 50lb hopper and needing more room at a property.
I do know that Lebanon Turf has Earthway settings on their stuff.

What's your situation like as far as terrain goes? I know on my stuff 50# is MORE than enough at times.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I do know that Lebanon Turf has Earthway settings on their stuff.

What's your situation like as far as terrain goes? I know on my stuff 50# is MORE than enough at times.
Actually nothing too too big. Largest is about 12,000 sq ft so 50#'s usually does the trick. I have an 80lb Earhway now but always seem to be dumping product back in the bag when finished versus running out.