Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use wet seed in unwatered but somewhat damp topdressing mix that was kept under a tarp and remained somewhat moist. Golf courses are mixing large batches meant to be used over a several day or weeks period. They don't want it all popping in 3 days. Perpetual care kind of thing. Also, much of it is put down by people playing golf rather than maintenance workers. It has gotten to be competitively politically correct. Elves come by the next morning and fix the repairs

Great work and photos in that other thread mdlwn1!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't there a danger of mold setting in under a damp tarp???
Old 10-03-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Although I am sure you will want to refute it, no.

The tarp is dry when it is placed over the pile. Dampness does tend to cook out of all but the most bone dry piles. These are not season long static situations. There is a lot of turnover. Even if there wasn't, tarps are routinely used on baseball infields, plates, and mounds. While the tarps sometimes get a little musty, the infield dirt is fine. Granted, we are not trying to grow anything in infield dirt.

Bottom line is I have never had a problem using pre germinated seed with tarped sand-compost mix.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not interested in refuting anything,,, just looking for a clear picture of what you and mdlawn, are talking about and asking questions for the purpose of clarification...

Another point of clarification is ,,, in your latest post you call it, "pre germinated seed"... are you now saying that you have seed that was germinated before placing under the tarp??? has the seed been soaked or not???

I'll report what happens up to the time that my pre-soaked seed actually germinates,,, if at all...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, sorry this has gotten so complicated. Perhaps my use of "pregerminated" was not botanically accurate.

Seed swollen by water to speed germination. If the seed ever got to the point of emergence I felt the fuse was lit and I needed to get it down same day and care for it - dozens of spots - as you would for a new lawn. Tried to avoid that and wasted some seed occasionally.

To be clear: the seed never did time under the tarp, only the topdressing mix did. In some other old thread(s) I wrote about pregerminating seed in damp soil in wheelbarrows and 5 gallon pails. I did some of that and used it withind 2-3 days of introducing the seed to the soil. My preferred method is as above and not terribly different from what I used to do. It is more of a refinement. My method is not the first and last word on the topic. In fact, if I learned today that I needs to repair a bunch of spots Tuesday, I am not sure what my first move would be today. Probably to make sure I had the appropriated seed on hand.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting ideas Fore and Ax. [/I]
I was wondering if it is possible to apply seed for small spots with a hand sprayer with the seed mixed with water, only.
Naturally, you would have to remove or cut off the nozzle so that the opening was no less than about a quarter-inch in diameter. (And maybe switch to a ball valve to control the flow).
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to apply seed for small spots with a hand sprayer with the seed mixed with water, only.
Naturally, you would have to remove or cut off the nozzle so that the opening was no less than about a quarter-inch in diameter. (And maybe switch to a ball valve to control the flow).
At that point I believe you may be getting into the idea of hydro seeding which leads to my next question. Would you be able to allow the seed to seed in a hydro seeder a few days prior to germination while slightly agitating the mix to achieve faster growth after seeding? I am asking because a lot of cemeteries around here use hydro seeders to replant plots and that may provide a quicker green up since the funeral is usually 2-3 days after the death
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
At that point I believe you may be getting into the idea of hydro seeding which leads to my next question. Would you be able to allow the seed to seed in a hydro seeder a few days prior to germination while slightly agitating the mix to achieve faster growth after seeding? I am asking because a lot of cemeteries around here use hydro seeders to replant plots and that may provide a quicker green up since the funeral is usually 2-3 days after the death
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems like it should work, and with hydroseeding it wouldn't be forced to dry out a bit in order to spread it evenly like I had to...
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I don't think you could keep the seed in solution enough to make it happen... but I don't know that...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have had clouds and rain since the soaked seed was mixed with dry compost and worked into the top 1 inch or so of soil... yesterday was day 4 with sunshine and no visible germination yet...