Register free!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9093 View Post
Directional boring sound like a good idea, but why would I have them run sleeves instead of poly?
They can run anything you like and your choice of color and put it spot on anywhere you want it.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I hope to get a diagram up soon, but we are talking about hundreds of feet and a maze of irrigation lines, wires, electrical, etc. Can they weave in and out those things? Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks. I hope to get a diagram up soon, but we are talking about hundreds of feet and a maze of irrigation lines, wires, electrical, etc. Can they weave in and out those things? Thanks again.
They can bore it 3ft or more of depth way below the irrigation lines. It will be a expensive option to do all the borings if the areas are large.

The early suggestions of meters is the most common but you dismiss that. My guess is if trenching a new main will be the cheapest compared to boring but will have more phyiscal work to it. Mainly depends on distance of things.

The dimissing of water meters just sounds like either it is not explained properly to the hoa or money is not a issue.

Are you really up to doing this kind of job with boring and such? Have any experience with systems like this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

man, this sounds like a nightmare...

let's confirm a few things...15 units and 5 systems, i take it these are all TRIplexes, therefore 5 buildings total with 3 units each? or are they set up differently? ...and are they all on the same side of the street, or in a cul-de-sac?

does each building have a meter, or each individual unit?

Last edited by jbell36; 10-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where' are you getting the smart probes Mitchell?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually there are 30 units, 10 w/triplexes. Off the subject a little, same complex... got a call from a resident that an electric "engine" had started up in the basement. Went over there right away and found out that an irrigation motor had been fired up by the controller. I Winterized and shut this system down for the year just earlier this week, and yet sure enough, when I got over there the irrigation pump was whirling away like Ralph Kramden at a Shriners' convention. Of course I shut everything down, and pulled the breaker for the controller, both inside and outside. Question is anyone else ever ran into anything like this? The controller is a Hunter Pro-C outdoor type. Working on the diagrams to post and hope to have them soon. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Actually there are 30 units, 10 w/triplexes. Off the subject a little, same complex... got a call from a resident that an electric "engine" had started up in the basement. Went over there right away and found out that an irrigation motor had been fired up by the controller. I Winterized and shut this system down for the year just earlier this week, and yet sure enough, when I got over there the irrigation pump was whirling away like Ralph Kramden at a Shriners' convention. Of course I shut everything down, and pulled the breaker for the controller, both inside and outside. Question is anyone else ever ran into anything like this? The controller is a Hunter Pro-C outdoor type. Working on the diagrams to post and hope to have them soon. Thanks!
I assume this is a booster pump? They normally work off a signal from the controller. Can you trace the wiring back from the pump and see how this pump is triggered?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Major Mod

I did. I shut it off at the main (had it's own circuit breaker at the basement breaker box), went outside to the controller, and zone 1 was banging away, checked the pump settings and it was on for that and the rest of the zones. THE SELECTION SWITCH WAS SET TO OFF FOR THE WHOLE CONTROLLER!! It was turned to the off position, 1) because the system had not ran all year, though I had turned it on to do a survey, and 2) when I Winterized the system last Tuesday, I blew it out, shut the system off, set the selection knob to off. Also, I know I took the pump offline, because it was causing severe water pressure problems for that unit. I am assuming it's the controller, but I will wait till next season to deal with it since the system is already Winterized. Thanks for your input, pal!

Last edited by Sierra9093; 10-06-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Diagram for Major Mod

Here is a rough diagram for the condo unit. Hope it's not too abstract. Take a gander and I will submit another drawing of my proposed changes. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here is a rough diagram for the condo unit. Hope it's not too abstract. Take a gander and I will submit another drawing of my proposed changes. Thanks.
Where's the mainline water service? Water meters?