Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
I have never taken off the burlap and basket when planting. I haven't had a tree or shrub die from it but i have had to replace them when the homeowners didn't give it enough water or over fertilized.

I was taught in college that there is no need to remove it since the roots will grow right through it. I have been to many nurseries where the roots are growing like crazy through the burlap.

The reason they died are more likely from some other reason.
I'd have to agree here. I was taught in school as well and also by a nursery owner who I worked for that the only thing you should do is peal back the burlap from the top of the ball and around the trunk and tuck it down in the hole. You are risking damaging the ball or having it crack when you're screwing around trying to get the burlap out from under it. Once that ball cracks or breaks.........................goodnight tree/shrub.

Now, synthetic burlap......different story.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-s...trees--shrubs/
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
I have never taken off the burlap and basket when planting. I haven't had a tree or shrub die from it but i have had to replace them when the homeowners didn't give it enough water or over fertilized.

I was taught in college that there is no need to remove it since the roots will grow right through it. I have been to many nurseries where the roots are growing like crazy through the burlap.

The reason they died are more likely from some other reason.
Probably over watering.

We don't remove it neither. Just cut the string the holds the wire up and fold the burlap and wire down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've actually seen trees that had their roots grow around these wire baskets and end up with serious troubles... fast growing trees like maples have the biggest issue that I've seen...

It bothers me what might happen to other slower growing trees that I may never see again...

I typically remove the wire basket with bolt cutters so it doesn't disturb the root ball as much,,, then I open the burlap and fold it back at least 1/2 way down to be sure that it doesn't repel water...

When open like that it receives water and will rot normally... with the burlap up to the base of the trunk it actually repels water,,, which is why when you pull it out of wet soil, the rootball itself is completely bone dry...
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen maples crack concrete, sewer pipes(cast iron) and the trees are still growing. Roots are strong and those baskets are soft metal and will rip out if the way as the roots grow. How are you sure the baskets caused the problems?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems the protocol on baskets and burlap changes from year to year. Read locally that the current recommendations are to cut off the top 6" of a wire basket and remove the top portion of burlap leaving the lower section as is.

How does that compare with your area?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I have seen maples crack concrete, sewer pipes(cast iron) and the trees are still growing. Roots are strong and those baskets are soft metal and will rip out if the way as the roots grow. How are you sure the baskets caused the problems?
Posted via Mobile Device
Wire and rope gets "Grown around",,, not pushed aside... same as wire fences anchored to trees above ground,,, the same thing happens underground...

Your examples are real,,, but it does not apply to wire...
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Seems the protocol on baskets and burlap changes from year to year. Read locally that the current recommendations are to cut off the top 6" of a wire basket and remove the top portion of burlap leaving the lower section as is.

How does that compare with your area?
I thought the 'Academic Elite" were absolute,,, in their wisdom and knowledge... It is easy to ignore those that have seen things happen over the years and believe what you want to believe w/out understanding , "Why"...

It is better to figure out the whys and wherefores than it is to blindly follow anyone,,, including the, academics...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Ill say one thing, the burlap may disintegrate below the soil but i know for one thing that the rope that is usually used to tie the burlap on doesnt disintegrate so i always remove that and I try to remove as much burlap and wire basket as possible once the tree is in the hole.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

The MOST important thing to check before planting b&b trees is the type of burlap used, whether it's treated or natural. If it's treated, you'd better cut it back sufficiently from the top to permit the roots to extend. It'll be a good idea to cut through the bottom areas as well. Many burlap treatments are almost like a plastic container, so there will be NO ROOT GROWTH through it if left in place. On the other hand, if it's natural, there's no issue about leaving it in place as it will biodegrade within few months depending on soil conditions surrounding it. Regardless of what you've read or heard, leaving the wire basket in place does not impede root growth, though it is true that once the size of the root penetrating the wire basket reaches the opening size in the basket, it will grow around the wire...something like 50 years later! (How long is your warranty?) And that doesn't mean it'll die at that point.

Lastly, let's face it, the sisal twine tying the basket to the trunk needs to be natural also, not plastic, for the same reasons. If plastic, you've got to cut it away so the trunk doesn't get cut into and starve the tree of nutrients, while the natural twine will biodegrade within a couple of months. Importantly, if it's natural twine, it helps stabilize the tree in the hole and minimizes, somewhat, the need for extensive staking.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all the trees visible in this pic were planted BB intact some time ago and seem to be doing nicely.
Attached Images