Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we had this happen to one of our powerseeders recently because one of our guys tilted it back for a period of time to clean the tines and the oil got into the carbeurator and spark plug......cleared it out and now it works fine thank god
Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Had that happen on one of my mowers. Turns out its the needle valve in the carb. Needle valve gets particles on it from the ethanol in the fuel and this allows fuel to continue to run into the carb which then goes into the engine oil.

Go to pull the starter rope and about pulled my arm out of my shoulder. Said WTF. Checked oil and was overfull and smelled of gas.

Keep the fuel shutoff when not using and it solves the problem. I also found a local station that sells non ethanol fuel. Ive been using that this year.

Not an engine problem but a fuel problem.

Dave...
Honestly? If you get diarreah from eating Mexican the night before, do you blame ethanol too?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Honestly? If you get diarreah from eating Mexican the night before, do you blame ethanol too?
He is correct. I do not run ethanol in any of my engines. It is crap and I avoid it as much as I can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
He is correct. I do not run ethanol in any of my engines. It is crap and I avoid it as much as I can.
Posted via Mobile Device
I burn that 'crap' and don't have an issue with it? Did someone tell you something that you now believe is true?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-04-2013, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Well, after running small engines for years and after talking with a certified tech who works on these engines and owns a repair shop......who actually showed me the deposits that collect inside the carb and the damage it does to seals by drying them out.

And having experienced my own problems since using ethanol fuel by having to tear down carbs yearly.

I know what the blame is. Ethanol. BTW. My brother is a certified master tech and has been working on vehicles for 20 years and has told me the same things.

But you know better....Right.

Dave...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I burn that 'crap' and don't have an issue with it? Did someone tell you something that you now believe is true?
I worked as a technician in an engineering facility for 35 years that designed and built engines from 5 to 300 hp. Fuel was a very large concern to us. Engines can be built to "tolerate" ethanol and will work if you follow certain procedures. The problem is the corrosive nature of ethanol in that it is very hydroscopic. It attracts water and I assume you know what water does to engines. It is especially hard on 2-stroke engines. The small engine manufacturers association warns against using the E-15 blend and says your warranty is void if you do use it. So know, I didn't have someone tell me about this, I experienced it. Sometimes DA, you say things based on your own personal opinion that are not on the facts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Anyone ever get one of these engines to not turn over with fluid locking the engine? We tried one of these units this year as a backup / over flow machine really and at 57 hours on Monday it wouldnt turn over. We pulled the spark plug and spit out a bunch of something. The service guy is trying to say its fuel/oil. Not sure what to think. We usually get 400 hrs a yr on each ride on and im not sure this GL is up to that.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the machine every has been laid over this will happen. We had this happen a few times in the boxtruck where it flipped over on its side for some reason.

You just pull the spark plug and it will start right up.

We have 6 of these machines and run them hard every week. As far as 400 hours per year...it doesn't have a clue how many hours it has on it, you just have to take care of it.

Just like every other piece of equipment it comes down to preventative maintenance and how well you take care of your stuff. We like to get rid of our machines when they get close to 400-50 hours anyway because we feel our maintenance increases with the age of any equipment that applies fertilizer.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That is reassuring. Do you run the boom kit on your machines Rod?
Are you satisified with the weed kill/spray coverage overall?
Been running them 2 full seasons and no issues.

Getting 3 new machines to replace exisiting machines this winter.

The machine has had a few minor issues but overall is a great one.

They have made many updates on the newer models to correct the issues.

Brice has been great to work with!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So funny American, oops DA. Far as I'm concerned Ethanol isn't nothing more then a farm subsidy and is ****!!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
If the machine every has been laid over this will happen. We had this happen a few times in the boxtruck where it flipped over on its side for some reason.

You just pull the spark plug and it will start right up.

We have 6 of these machines and run them hard every week. As far as 400 hours per year...it doesn't have a clue how many hours it has on it, you just have to take care of it.

Just like every other piece of equipment it comes down to preventative maintenance and how well you take care of your stuff. We like to get rid of our machines when they get close to 400-50 hours anyway because we feel our maintenance increases with the age of any equipment that applies fertilizer.
Id bet decent money this is what might have happened. It was in an enclosed trailer the day in question.
Posted via Mobile Device