Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

charging by the square foot for stonewalls

Hi, sometimes I charge hourly, but I'm trying to charge by the square foot more, its so much easier bundling up all the materials and labor.. I use alot of quarried stone, fieldstone, etc.. As for retaining walls, do I calculate in the top of the wall? L X W for the face of the wall, but the capstones, should I measure the top surface of the wall, say its a foot in width by 40 ft long.. would you add that to the total sq. ft. of the wall's face? It takes time and much effort to get that nice flat top, using irregular stone. Thanks for any tips!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoscapes View Post
Hi, sometimes I charge hourly, but I'm trying to charge by the square foot more, its so much easier bundling up all the materials and labor.. I use alot of quarried stone, fieldstone, etc.. As for retaining walls, do I calculate in the top of the wall? L X W for the face of the wall, but the capstones, should I measure the top surface of the wall, say its a foot in width by 40 ft long.. would you add that to the total sq. ft. of the wall's face? It takes time and much effort to get that nice flat top, using irregular stone. Thanks for any tips!

Unit pricing is a bad bad thing to do.

Do a search and you'll find all sorts of information from me on why NOT to unit price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't charge by the square foot period. The jobs you don't get using that method you probably where over priced. The jobs you do get you where probably the lowest price undercutting yourself.

Price your material, labor, overhead, all marked up and add your profit.

Ask yourself this theoretical question. Are you going to price a wall that is 100 feet long and 1 foot high the same as a wall that is 10 feet long and 10 feet high? Both are 100 square face feet.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Yes I see this is not how I will price projects from now on.. good point clipfert about a wall 10ft high, too many variables to price by the square foot.
But.. for this project I've already started charging by the sq. ft. so I'm kind of stuck with this formula on this project.. So would you add in the sq. ft of the top of the wall? Thanks~!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoscapes View Post
Thanks guys. Yes I see this is not how I will price projects from now on.. good point clipfert about a wall 10ft high, too many variables to price by the square foot.
But.. for this project I've already started charging by the sq. ft. so I'm kind of stuck with this formula on this project.. So would you add in the sq. ft of the top of the wall? Thanks~!
No, I would not add in the SQ ft for the top of the wall.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
No, I would not add in the SQ ft for the top of the wall.
I agree......
Posted via Mobile Device