Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2000, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looked at a used Chopper couple days ago at dealers, 97' stainless 22HP Kohler Command 900 hrs 60&quot; deck $3800.(Thanks for your input on this Eric ELM). Will be doing 1/4 & 1/2 acre residential initially. Today, checked out a used Exmark Lazer Z that just came in on trade at same dealer. 52&quot; deck, 25HP Kohler Command Pro, 97', 1300 hrs., well maintained, runs well, mulch kit, $2700. Dealer will put new tires on. Is this a fair price? I asked for 30 day warranty & he said he would do that. Also will be getting 6x12 single axle trailer ($750),trimmer rack, installed($99), Shindaiwa T230 trimmer($284), Shin stick edger, blower, hedge trimmer. Assuming the prices are not out of line and I'm paying cash, would it be out of line to ask for a 60 day warranty on the used mower and set of new blades thrown in? Do dealers usually give limited time warranty's on used mowers? I think the chopper is a little big for the residentials I'll be going after initially. Would appreciate input from you guys. Thanks. Bassman <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Bassman
Old 06-29-2000, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Warranty of 30 days is generous(at least here)for used equipment. One other point to consider, 1,300 hrs. Is that a new engine? If not you may end up installing one sooner than you'd like to.
Old 06-29-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Engine is not new, dealer said typically there should be no problems until at least 2000 hrs. I'm wanting to get maybe 1-1 1/2 years out of mower before major problems figuring 500 hrs run time per year. That would put me at around 1800-2000 hrs total on this Kohler 25hp command pro. What have other owners of these engines gotten in total hours with no major problems? Bassman <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Bassman
Old 06-29-2000, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

1500-1600 hours is pretty good for that motor. You can start looking for probs at that point. Has alot to do with how it was used, maintained. May break soon, may last to 3000. Just keep an eye on it. If you have the time to have a mower in the shop, it's probably ok. That is still a decent price though. Is the deck cracked. How are the hydralics? You could add a new motor and still be thousand less than new.
Old 06-29-2000, 09:28 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Bassman: The engine on the Chopper has a regular oil filter and an Amsoil bypass filter that filters out dirt down to 1 micron in size. The 22 HP engine on that machine should last 3000 to 4000 hours. I've heard of engines lasting longer than that on a Chopper with the Amsoil filtering system. Any lawn you can get a 52&quot; mower on, you can get a 60&quot; on it too. A 60&quot; isn't that much bigger and I feel the Chopper would be the best deal. Where is this mower at? I may be interested in it if you don't buy it. I've got one with over 3 times that many hours on it and I wouldn't sell it for $3800.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-29-2000, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guess I need to cut to the basic question as I will make a decision tomorrow. I am ramped up to start biz. Used 97' Exmark Lazer,1300 hrs., 25HP Kohler, runs strong, no apparent problems,hydraulics good, spindles tight, 30 day warranty, $2700. I have no idea how it was used. Is this a fair price? Thanks. Bassman
Old 06-29-2000, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

offer 2200, pay 2500
Old 06-29-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, I'm leaning towards the Lazer for budget reasons. I'm just starting biz. If I decide on the Lazer, I'll E-mail the name, address and phone # of dealer in Florida where chopper is located. You chopper guys remind me of some of my friends who have Harley Davidsons, (they keep pushing me to get one), nothing compares to a GENUINE Harley. I have limited funds and believe the Lazer will do well as a starter machine and free up $1100 for marketing/advertising versus the chopper. Bassman.
Old 06-30-2000, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not buy an engine w/ 1300 hrs on it unless it had that chopper filtering system on it. To get started, you might want to get a walk-behind that will last a while.<p>Good luck on whatever you decide<br>Rick<br>LawnWorks
Old 06-30-2000, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm.... Lazer Z with 1300 hours. Not too bad. If it is good i would go for it in a heartbeat if i had the $$$$. Question though, do you have equip for lawns that are too small for the lazer? What kind of terrain will you be doing mostly? Up here where i live there are alot of hills and steep slopes, with that in mind i had to go with a walk behind HP Exmark. I have had experience in the past with Lazer style mowers. Inclines were not the strong point. I have not been on one in 5 years though so they probably have improved. Straight open lawns and fields i would definatly go for it though. It would save you a ton of time. Ask your dealer to see a productivity chart for the mower vs a walkbehind. 2700 aint bad though. New they are like 9G to 11G. Too much money for a poor ol lawn guy like myself. Maybe next month though. lol. Good luck with your decision. Hope it turns out well for you. Let us know.