Register free!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You wouldnt buy a new truck with out knowing what you are getting for 50k
So when you buy a new truck you want to see a bill of materials that tells you how much everything from the alternator to the oil in the crank case and every other component costs? I bet the dealers love you!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
So when you buy a new truck you want to see a bill of materials that tells you how much everything from the alternator to the oil in the crank case and every other component costs? I bet the dealers love you!

And when he goes out to dinner he also asks the restaurant to break down the cost of the house salad,
Dressing, baked potato, and vegetables.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
This does not make any sense.

A descriptive propos will tell anyone what they are getting.

You want seeding and landscaping done? Then there should be a scaled plan for the landscape install and the proposal should state plant names, qty, and sizes.

It does not matter if the job is $2200.00 or $150,000 - there is no need to break anything down.

Now, if a client is unsure if they want a seat wall, lighting, etc., then I'll list those as individual options.

Would I bay a car without costs broken down?? Of course,
Absolutely. If it has and if it is what I want, and the price is good - then of course. Life does not have to be difficult.

You price the job with your break downs, a ill price the same job with one lump price.....and I bet you I would get the job. Gotta know how to write a proposal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well it work for me since 1981 And It work again I got the job I was talking about 57k and the bid was broken down. Showing every cost per item and Labor broken down for per task. My way works for me Your way works for you
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on the work...A friend of mine used to own an excavating company in Kirksville.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well it work for me since 1981 And It work again I got the job I was talking about 57k and the bid was broken down. Showing every cost per item and Labor broken down for per task. My way works for me Your way works for you

Never did anyone type that it would / does **not work**.

The point is - it's not necessary. You're sharing information with the consumer that has no relevancy to anything.

The consumer purchases just like you, I, and everyone else does. One thing I've noticed about contractors is that they make selling and they make marketing more difficult than it really is. Yet, we are buyers of services and products just like our customers are.

When a person gets the itch to have work done, they think "you know Bill & Helen have a great backyard, I'm ready to get mine done".

They don't say to theirselves - "you know Bill & Helen have a great backyard, I wonder how much the gravel base cost". That does not happen.

Breaking down costs is mis-leading. In terms of materials there are more materials used than you would itemize. Such as: marking paint, carpenter pencils, diamond blades, adhesive, straw, seed porta pot rental, etc. The client will say "honey look, the price is $10k, and he has on here materials are $2500.00, that's a heck of a profit on the labor, I bet we can bargin him down", when they don't realize that actually there is probably a total of $3200 in mats.

Same with labor. There is more labor that goes on off site than most people realize. Mack in the spring we did a job where we were onsite an average of 6-7 hrs per day. The lady said to me "don't you put in an 8 hr day?" I responded "we still have to go to the dump and unload this and we gotta load the truck for tomorrow, by the time this day is over we will have put in 10 hrs".

It's not good business practice to break down material costs. When my home was built - the builder did not break down materials. It's just not something that owners with business good instinct do.

I think if you pause for a minute and think about what I'm saying, you'll start to realize that you're sharing info with the consumer that is moot. The consumer has a vision in their head and they have a budget. Sell them what they are envisioning and for their budget and the job is yours. It's so easy. You can sell yourself by an informative, well put together sales presentation with good quality photos. And you can sell yourself with an informative, well put together, detailed proposal.

Congrats on your "bid". Man, I never bid work, there is no way I can be the lowest price. Bidding just doesn't work for me.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Never did anyone type that it would / does **not work**.

The point is - it's not necessary. You're sharing information with the consumer that has no relevancy to anything.

The consumer purchases just like you, I, and everyone else does. One thing I've noticed about contractors is that they make selling and they make marketing more difficult than it really is. Yet, we are buyers of services and products just like our customers are.

When a person gets the itch to have work done, they think "you know Bill & Helen have a great backyard, I'm ready to get mine done".

They don't say to theirselves - "you know Bill & Helen have a great backyard, I wonder how much the gravel base cost". That does not happen.

Breaking down costs is mis-leading. In terms of materials there are more materials used than you would itemize. Such as: marking paint, carpenter pencils, diamond blades, adhesive, straw, seed porta pot rental, etc. The client will say "honey look, the price is $10k, and he has on here materials are $2500.00, that's a heck of a profit on the labor, I bet we can bargin him down", when they don't realize that actually there is probably a total of $3200 in mats.

Same with labor. There is more labor that goes on off site than most people realize. Mack in the spring we did a job where we were onsite an average of 6-7 hrs per day. The lady said to me "don't you put in an 8 hr day?" I responded "we still have to go to the dump and unload this and we gotta load the truck for tomorrow, by the time this day is over we will have put in 10 hrs".

It's not good business practice to break down material costs. When my home was built - the builder did not break down materials. It's just not something that owners with business good instinct do.

I think if you pause for a minute and think about what I'm saying, you'll start to realize that you're sharing info with the consumer that is moot. The consumer has a vision in their head and they have a budget. Sell them what they are envisioning and for their budget and the job is yours. It's so easy. You can sell yourself by an informative, well put together sales presentation with good quality photos. And you can sell yourself with an informative, well put together, detailed proposal.

Congrats on your "bid". Man, I never bid work, there is no way I can be the lowest price. Bidding just doesn't work for me.
Don't get much haggling on the way I write my bids up
I always sell my self. They can see it in black and white where there money is going .
A lot times if they try talk me down. I tell them lets compare bids. A lump price bid you cant compare to my bids. So customer will call the other contactor and ask. 90% time they don't want to break it down so the Customer cant compare apples to apples . 60% of time I'll get the job.

This is a good selling point for me. I tell them with there bid, you don't really know what you are getting.

Say I have a price of $1.75 per pound of seed and The lawn calls for 600lbs My price is $1050 and other guy has it his bid $400 seed. The lawn size is 60k
My price is broken down, So they know how many pounds per 1k they are getting
The other guy said he putting down 10lb per 1k of turf fescue but at the price of $400. There is no way he is putting down 10lbs. He buys from the same Seed company as I do and use same seed.

I bid on so many state jobs and they have to be itemized

That's funny about your home. My brother in law is a house builder and he breaks his down he been doing it for 20 years.
I put siding on my house and 3 contactors had there bids itemized all the way down to staples for the house wrap. They showed there cost and there markup.

Maybe around here people does it different

I see your point

So if you are building say block wall and you use 50 less blocks do you credit back to customer or do you still make them pay for them since you didn't install them.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
congrats on the work...A friend of mine used to own an excavating company in Kirksville.
You was that
Old 10-05-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There's more bids in here than storage wars!
But anyway, I do the lump price. Breaking down the proposal in detail should be done in either method. I don't know why you would assign individual costs and open the door up for debate on each line item. If you're doing that well with your method, just imagine how much better you could be doing.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Don't get much haggling on the way I write my bids up
I always sell my self. They can see it in black and white where there money is going .
A lot times if they try talk me down. I tell them lets compare bids. A lump price bid you cant compare to my bids. So customer will call the other contactor and ask. 90% time they don't want to break it down so the Customer cant compare apples to apples . 60% of time I'll get the job.

This is a good selling point for me. I tell them with there bid, you don't really know what you are getting.

Say I have a price of $1.75 per pound of seed and The lawn calls for 600lbs My price is $1050 and other guy has it his bid $400 seed. The lawn size is 60k
My price is broken down, So they know how many pounds per 1k they are getting
The other guy said he putting down 10lb per 1k of turf fescue but at the price of $400. There is no way he is putting down 10lbs. He buys from the same Seed company as I do and use same seed.

I bid on so many state jobs and they have to be itemized

That's funny about your home. My brother in law is a house builder and he breaks his down he been doing it for 20 years.
I put siding on my house and 3 contactors had there bids itemized all the way down to staples for the house wrap. They showed there cost and there markup.

Maybe around here people does it different

I see your point

So if you are building say block wall and you use 50 less blocks do you credit back to customer or do you still make them pay for them since you didn't install them.
My head hurts

And yes, if we say we will install a wall 12'long and 4' high, that's what the customer is getting. The block count is my issue/concern.

While we are on it, when you bought your truck, with a full tank of gas, I presume, did you find out the cost per gallon of gas? How about how much steel and at what price per pound ford paid for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
My head hurts

And yes, if we say we will install a wall 12'long and 4' high, that's what the customer is getting. The block count is my issue/concern.

While we are on it, when you bought your truck, with a full tank of gas, I presume, did you find out the cost per gallon of gas? How about how much steel and at what price per pound ford paid for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well then you run your business your way
I run mine my way
If I don't use all the blocks I had in my bid I credit the customer back.
Sorry you don't like the way I run this business that's fine.
Been working for me since 1981. Must be way I was raised, I only get paid for what I do and used.
Funny you say that on the gas. It was listed how many gals they put in It was a free tank of fuel.